Thinking combining a bog with a bio falls

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am constructing a new 5000 gallon koi pond. Originally, I was going to run a bottom drain to a pre-filter to a bio falls with a uv filter into a stream back into the pond. The skimmer would also run to the bio falls. I am now very interested in bog filtration. The problem is that I do not have the space to put the bog above the waterfall. I am thinking of building a bog adjacent to the stream and have it dump into the stream halfway back to the pond. Does it make sense to split the dirty water between the bio falls and the bog? Maybe a "Y" fitting with some kind of valve to control the flow between the waterfall and bog? Fyi, the bog will not be large enough to handle the size of my pond, so the bio falls will be supplementary filtration to the bog. Not sure if I am asking the right question or if it makes sense. Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If I understand you correctly, you will have two sources of pumped water from the pond. One will go over a bio falls then into the stream and the other will go to the bog and also dump into the stream.

I think it will be fine.

Just as a note...if your bog is proportioned and engineered correctly, you should not need any other filtration or the UV light.
That being said, if you already bought the filter and UV, you can run it all and eventually try using just the bog.

As a general rule the bog's surface area should be at least 30% of the pond's surface area if it will be your only filter.

If you haven't already, I suggest you read the many bog building threads for pointers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I understand you correctly, you will have two sources of pumped water from the pond. One will go over a bio falls then into the stream and the other will go to the bog and also dump into the stream.

I think it will be fine.

Just as a note...if your bog is proportioned and engineered correctly, you should not need any other filtration or the UV light.
That being said, if you already bought the filter and UV, you can run it all and eventually try using just the bog.

As a general rule the bog's surface area should be at least 30% of the pond's surface area if it will be your only filter.

If you haven't already, I suggest you read the many bog building threads for pointers.

Thanks. I have read quite a few of the bog posts. They are very helpful and basically convinced me to go with a bog. It's just that I will not have space enough for 30% of the pond surface area for the bog. Since, I want the waterfall and the bog will not fit above the waterfall, I thought the waterfall filer would not hurt. I will continue reading!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1624993661271.gif
@SaltLakeCity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. I have read quite a few of the bog posts. They are very helpful and basically convinced me to go with a bog. It's just that I will not have space enough for 30% of the pond surface area for the bog. Since, I want the waterfall and the bog will not fit above the waterfall, I thought the waterfall filer would not hurt. I will continue reading!
I have my pump output split; one feed goes to a prefilter then to the bog, the other feed goes directly to a waterfall. The outlet from my bog is also turned into a waterfall, over stacked rock (sort of a weeping wall). So, you're not held to having the bog be 'over the waterfall'. And a filter at your waterfall won't hurt but I don't think it's necessary. If it's easy to service, then by all means, go for it. I use to have the overflow at the top of my waterfall pour down (also) to a bed of lava rock inside the fall structured. When I expanded and took the falls apart, the lava rock was really gunked over. Didn't want that again so now there's just air behind my falls front. Too, my falls was hard to service, hence why I didn't clean it until I took it down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The best bet is to post a picture of your pond. There are ways around the rules...... My speciality,...........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The best bet is to post a picture of your pond. There are ways around the rules...... My speciality,...........
“The code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules." -Hector Barbossa

and GBBUDD!!

Reaction score
I am in the process of creating my pond. I am going to split my water flow from my pump with the majority going to the top of the falls and plan my bog about 20 feet away from my pond and built on a mound. It will connect to my pond via a stream. Your idea should work as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Ron-NY Not having a falls coming out of the bog is a loss of energy it matters so little to push water up a foot or two. Pictures help us the most help you .
How tall is the falls and how far from the pond.

Reaction score
@Ron-NY Not having a falls coming out of the bog is a loss of energy it matters so little to push water up a foot or two. Pictures help us the most help you .
How tall is the falls and how far from the pond.
I know that would be ideal but. The hill is fairly steep and the top is at a tree line so roots and rocks to deal with. I wouldn’t be able to create a bog large enough up there.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I can’t build the bog at the top of the falls. Too steep and at tree line. You can see large rock at top of hill , where falls will start.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you.Right now I have a hole in the ground and the stream dug. Design phase, right now.
I have my pump output split; one feed goes to a prefilter then to the bog, the other feed goes directly to a waterfall. The outlet from my bog is also turned into a waterfall, over stacked rock (sort of a weeping wall). So, you're not held to having the bog be 'over the waterfall'. And a filter at your waterfall won't hurt but I don't think it's necessary. If it's easy to service, then by all means, go for it. I use to have the overflow at the top of my waterfall pour down (also) to a bed of lava rock inside the fall structured. When I expanded and took the falls apart, the lava rock was really gunked over. Didn't want that again so now there's just air behind my falls front. Too, my falls was hard to service, hence why I didn't cl

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, if I split the output of my pump, is a "Y" connector the way to go? How will that impact my pump calculations?

Regarding the pre-filter, I think I need it to stop the pump from chopping up all the koi waste. Will there still be enough waste in the water to "feed" the bog? Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its not the koi waste that is the concern by the time it gets sucked into the plumbing and makes it to the pump there won't be much solids left it will be broken up . its more the plant matter , baby fish ,frogs ,plants that are more the goal. And most external pumps have a strainer basket.

My pump return line splits for times at the pump it breaks off into two lines both of which have ball valves after the split one goes to a return jet in the pond that splits to a second return jet.
The other line does similar but it does so to two bogs . The bog feeds both have ball valves on them at the bogs

Reaction score
So, if I split the output of my pump, is a "Y" connector the way to go? How will that impact my pump calculations?

Regarding the pre-filter, I think I need it to stop the pump from chopping up all the koi waste. Will there still be enough waste in the water to "feed" the bog? Thanks!
My understanding is the bog is more for converting ammonia and other nitrates over filtering solids.

Ask a Question