TIME TO DECIDE ON PUMP -- HAVE QUESTIONS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1. What's the best (?) way to calculate the size pump you're going to need?
-- am planning to have (options for) 2 water "features:" 1) a DIY filter-to-waterfall, and 2) a spitter for now, but maybe a bog in the future
-- my volume calculates to between 2500-3500 gals. (see related question below)
-- purpose of the pond is primarily as a "watering hole" for my box turtles, but plan to have plants & goldfish (no Koi)
-- want a solids-handling pump, mag-drive

2. Volume calculations: while figuring for a liner, came up with this question -- since I'm planning the pond to have 2 distinct depth levels (overall size is 13' x17', but it's actually configured as one side is 17' x 9' x about 3 1/2' deep, and the other side mirrors it, but is 4' wide and 1' sloping to 2' deep for the turtles, then it drops off into the 3 1/2' depth). Wasn't sure how to come up with a number for the average depth, so I did the pond calculator and entered it as 2 separate ponds, adding those together. That gave me a lower overall volume which makes more sense to me. Does that sound like an OK way to calculate?

3. How can I split the pump output so it will work for the 2 features, and is there a way to regulate the flow(s), as I assume the filter-waterfall will need more than the spitter will?

4. How do I know if I'm getting the optimal flow through my DIY filter?

I know someone is going to ask about a skimmer, so I might as well admit that a skimmer install totally intimidates me at this point. Instead, I have purchased a floating skimmer. I know, I know, but it's got to be better than nothing at all! And I WILL need a skimmer (trees), but that will have to wait until my skill & comfort levels are ready for it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would go with a 4000 GPH pump minimum. Most likely you will need a 2 inch hose coming out. Then you can split it into 2, 1 1/2 inch hoses using a pvc T and some pvc glue. Run your 2, 1 1/2 hoses to where ever you want. That is how mine is configured sort of... I have 2 pumps and 3 outlets. Or you could do two smaller pumps 2000 GPH each and place them in different parts of the pond so you have water pulling from two differenet areas.

The nice thing about 2 pumps is if 1 goes out you still have moving water to get you by till you get a new pump.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
"A spitter for now, but maybe a bog in the future." Your bog would likely require somewhere in the neighbourhood of 2,000 to 2,500 GPH; most spitters use between 85 and 150 GPH. Make sure you include a valve in the spitter line, or you'll be watering the neighbour's gardens.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HARO, LOL! See, that's why I was asking you guys for advice .... though the neighbors probably wouldn't mind, if we have another drought this summer ;).

So how do I "do" a valve? What do I need to get, how to install, etc. And if I split, say a 4000gph pump, to a waterfall and a spitter, will I be able to make those kind of adjustments?

If I have a 4000gph pump now, will it be enough for a w/fall AND a future bog?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It should handle the job quite well, just so you realize that for the time being, it's really a bit of overkill. 4000 GPH is enough to give you a sheet of water 1/4" thick and 40" wide. If you split that between a 24" wide waterfall and a bog, you could still get a 16" wide fall coming out of the bog, which should be more than adequate. For the falls and spitter, place a tee in the line, with a reducer to the hose size your spitter takes, and a valve to control the flow. The hose to the falls can either remain open (no valve) or you can place a valve in-line if you find you are getting too much water over the falls. Most spitters, BTW, take either a 1/4" or 3/8" hose.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What kind of valves, and where can you purchase same? I frequent the plumbing section at HOME DEPOT & LOWES quite a bit (PVC pipe-aholic), but don't recall running into valves.

And, are any of the PVC fittings, etc., OK to use for pump stuff? IOW, will they function, or are there special " plumbing" things that you have to use?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ball valves, both places carry them. Here they are usually on the bottom shelf or the top shelf with the other pvc stuff.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is what they look like found in the plumbing aisle just ask one of the associates. There are different types those that you use pvc cement with (solvent) and those that are threaded.
http://www.homedepot...s&storeId=10051

683346b4-35bb-454c-9493-33aa3bb4da2c_400.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! Yes, was just explaining the difference between "slip" and "threaded" to my 16 y/o son yesterday @ HOME DEPOT. In one ear & out the other --LOL!!

Will certainly look for the valves, now that I know what they look like. I actually have a HOME DEPOT iPhone app that one of the managers clued me in to. It goes so far as to tell you what aisle to find an item on. I use it ALL the time!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
On your pump question, Try to pump enough water to turn the water over one to two times per hour. A 3500 gph pump in a 2500 gallon pond makes for nice current but allowing plants to sit in position in still spots in the pond, This also will help keep the oxygen higher and the water cooler in our summer heat which is probably one of the hardest parts of pond keeping in the south. Our winters are so mild we seldom have issues with the cold but either way yout depth should help regulate the the temps. in both extremes. You can certainly run multiple things off one pump. Be sure and check your valves to see which kind is best for your application and ease of use. Lowes sells a similar white handle 2" valve for about $11. it has a oring union which really helps if you need to remove a line for something later on. I use one on the pump just after a check valve to make changing out the pump much easier and to slow the flow if I need to for some reason. on your spitter you may want to run a seperate small pump just for it. By the time you buy all the reducers and valves you would probably spend about the same on a small pump and the smaller pumps are easier to clean and remove the tubing to clean it. Oh, and they do clog somewhat over time and do need periodic cleaning. I love spitters but have learned over time they do require a little more maintance tha larger tubing lines.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true about spitters as every 3 months or so I clean the spitter which just means blowing the gunk out of the inside of it .When I see it is slowing down it is time to clean .I still don't understand pumps as luganna says for 5800 gallon pond a 2900 gph pump and to me that is to small and then you add in the lenght of the hose and your water flow goes down even more .I have a 2900 gph and a 2150 gph pump in my small pond and each one goes to a filter and the water fall and 2900 one also goes to 3 spitters .The 2150 goes to the other filter and a fountain head .The cheapest cost I could find on lagunna was 243 dollars for 2900 gph at 123 ponds .com .Still don't understand there warranties either .

Ask a Question