What's a good pump for water changes?

Reaction score
I've been checking the siphon pumps out, but would like one that works for getting some of the debri from the bottom of the pond? There's so many different options, with pump prices ranging from the high hundreds down to less than 20 bucks. I don't have hundreds to spend so what's a good way to go for less than 50.00?
Just would like to hear what some of you guys use to do a partial clean out and/or water change. Thanks for your input,
Susan

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I use one of these for water changes and cleaning debri
http://www.gardenponds.com/product5111.html
Use it 2 or 3 times a year depending on water quality and things like that.
I use the water that is getting syphond out to water my plants and grass waste not want not. :goldfish:
I have had for many years now with no problems
Oh one problem it sucked it self down to the liner and it collapsed the bottle and it cracked so had to get another.

Ruben

Reaction score
I never do a partial clean out or water change
Sissy, I can't get the pics of your fish to enlarge. I'm guessing you have a large pond and it is naturally eco-balanced, so that you don't have to do much maintance. I hope to get something close to that...once I learn about all this pondering stuff and have a good understanding of it all. And, one day I will....I'm practically a full time student/teacher, spending the better part of my days reading up on all things related. As well as other peoples exsperiences...good and bad.
I can't fully exspress my gratitude to have found...and joined...this particular forum, where everyone has been so helpfull and willing to offer suggestions. Without making me feel, well..u know...like a newbie.............................. :huh: even tho I am
:smile:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol Pond42, we were all newbies at one time or another!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's not that big really only 10 x 25 and just over 4 ft deep ,I just made it big enough that I can still handle it with all the other stuff around here .This is this morning with a tiny amount of ice .I have been lucky since I added the grasses they really help to clean .I have 2 koi over 2 feet and then fancy tails ,butterfly and goldfish .Right now I think I have 18 fish with the new babies .

Attachments

• baseball cards and pond 2013 022.JPG
    baseball cards and pond 2013 022.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 245
  • baseball cards and pond 2013 025.JPG
    baseball cards and pond 2013 025.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 223
  • baseball cards and pond 2013 023.JPG
    baseball cards and pond 2013 023.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 215
  • pond and gutterman 003.JPG
    pond and gutterman 003.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 266
  • pond and gutterman 004.JPG
    pond and gutterman 004.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 216

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think everyone is a newbie as you never ever stop learning and finding out new things .Like addy says one time or the other and the other is forever :razz: .I learn something new on here every day that I did not know .I don't use anything but quilt batting to pick up fine stuff ,peroxide,crushed oyster shells and activated charcoal .I some times don't get much time to tend to it but after awhile I think most on here get to the same point .It just takes time and lots of patience and just finding something that works .I just use plain ole lava rock in my filters from the garden store and have not cleaned them at all this year ,The grasses colleen told me about really do work .I also keep lots of plants in my filters .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I bought one of these units off ebay last year and I must say I'm very pleased with it. If you have two people and a little DYI ingenuity add a longer exit hose and one person can water plants while the other is vacuuming. This particular auction is one of the highest priced on ebay. There are sellers that sell this product for just over $200 but I liked the picture representation with this one as it shows everything that comes with it. Probably a little pricey for many people but IMO, a product well worth the money. It will remove gunk, leaves, even small gravel without any damage to the motor and it is self dumping, meaning you can stay in one spot and clean, it does cycle while cleaning so you have to wait for it to dump before continuing to vacumn but it doesn't suck water too bad so you can get a good cleaning without a lot of water waste. I can clean my large pond completely and might change 10-15% of the water during one good cleaning. Takes about 1-2 minutes to dump between fill ups. http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Muck-Bu...027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae0a1646b

Ask a Question