Winter Hardy Marsh Mallow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
PXL_20210925_202258374.MP.jpg

I am in Eastern Oregon zone 5ish. I have a Hardy Marsh Mallow bare root in the pot in the shallow part of my pond. I'm not sure what I should do for the winter to make sure it survives. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is Rose-mallow Hibsicus or Swamp-mallow Hbiscus (Hibiscus moscheutos), not Marsh-Mallow (Althaea officinalis).

Rose-mallow Hibsicus is listed as hardy to USDA Zone 5a (-20º F), but it sounds like you are cutting it close. The pond itself may insulate it somewhat more, you could try setting it deeper in the water and lifting it higher again in early Spring.
I suppose you could also take the pot out and bring it inside during Winter, perhaps setting the pot in a bucket of water, but that might be too awkward.

It looks like there is some kind of soil or media in the pot, so when you say it is "bare root in a pot" what do you mean?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Thank you for the clarification. There was soil in the pot when I bought it but the water has washed it out.

Ask a Question