Aeromonas........'No Mas'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
"B. bacteriovorus was present and abundant only in healthy individuals, while it was heavily reduced in patients, as in the case of IBD and Celiac, "http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0061608

"By coculturing B. bacteriovorus 109J and M. aeruginosavorus ARL-13 with selected pathogens, we have demonstrated that predatory bacteria are able to attack bacteria from the genus Acinetobacter, Aeromonas, Bordetella, Burkholderia, Citrobacter, Enterobacter, Escherichia, Klebsiella, Listonella, Morganella, Proteus, Pseudomonas, Salmonella, Serratia, Shigella, Vibrio and Yersinia. Predation was measured in single and multispecies microbial cultures as well as on monolayer and multilayer preformed biofilms. Additional experiments aimed at assessing the optimal predation characteristics of M. aeruginosavorus demonstrated that the predator is able to prey at temperatures of 25-37°C but is unable to prey under oxygen-limiting conditions. In addition, an increase in M. aeruginosavorus ARL-13 prey range was also observed." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21114596
which is really cool because it's a bacteria that is normally present in both the environment and in healthy people which should greatly easy any regulatory burdens.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
which should greatly easy any regulatory burdens.

Except for the fact that strains that target specific pathogens such as Aeromonas must be cultured in a lab through the use of genetic engineering. And that is the snag. For at that time it no longer becomes a naturally occurring organism.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Except for the fact that strains that target specific pathogens such as Aeromonas must be cultured in a lab through the use of genetic engineering. And that is the snag. For at that time it no longer becomes a naturally occurring organism.
Where did you get the reference to genetic engineering?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have a truck.

Surely your new President will give us a tax incentive.
Jobs and all.
That's at least one positive biotech tweet.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a microscope from the early 1900's.
No electricity required.
Should help with costs.
I have a half dozen old lab coats, petri dishes and two graduated cylinders that I can donate to the cause. I had an old Bunsen burner too but my wife threw it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll volunteer the garage as long as my work truck can stay...ooooh, I feel soooo like Steve Jobs right about now...do I get to name the eventual campus we build too?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It has no effect on Nitrifying bacteria.

I need to further clarify this statement. While it is true that strains of Bdellovibrio exist that target specific other gram negative bacteria, there are also strains that are more generalistic in their predatory behavior and will even prey on Nitrifying bacteria. These latter strains, however, have not been the subject of recent research or attempts to isolate them. It is those strains that offer potential in pathogen control that are being isolated and refined through gene selection. Those are the subject of this thread. Sorry for any confusion and obviously misleading statements..

Ask a Question