Hi from Montana!

Reaction score
For the most part close after Holloween is when we can usually count on it snowing and sticking. Once in a while we get snow before then but it melts. This year who knows ???? When I was younger I loved the four seasons but now that I'm older I would love to have our summers year around :).
Extended forecast for this weekend says it should be in the 60's but it has changed since I looked at it a half hour ago. Showed Sunday being the warmer day and now it's showing Saturday being warmer. I don't care what day is nicer I just want to finish my pond projects!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
80's here through Sat., then it says 60's on Sunday, and 70% chance of rain here on Sat! I'll take the rain, and cooler weather for that matter. But, loving not having the AC or heat on for about the last month. That should help out my electric bill this month!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ya me too, got some nice big rocks out front and I had been digging them into the ground last week, but then I got busy and it got colder, now I need a day off that is warn, and in the sun, then I will go at it again. My one hand can't take too much Cold and the one hip gets acky, please just a little more nice weather.... :)

Reaction score
This weekend hoping to finish rock placement around the pond. Forecast for this weekend in the 60's. Not to confident about that forecast! The past couple of weeks a couple of the days the forecast has been in the 60's but we didn't see it. I really need to get the extra rock off the yard so hubby can mow.

Reaction score
Finished with the rock work around the pond! 007.jpg

Glad to finally get it done, now I have to start pulling the plants out that need to go in the basement for the winter. Hubby took the plants off the decks that needed to be put downstairs for the winter, so tomorrow after work I will pull the plants from the pond.

We had a big black bear in the yard Friday night. I heard a bang so hubby went outside and was looking and next to the trees beside the house was a
bear, hubby watched it for about 30 seconds and something spooked it and it took off. We thought it had taken the cat dish so hubby was looking for that, about 10 mins. after it was here hubby heard a gun shot in the direction that the bear took off in. Don't know if that was a warning for the bear or if they shot it. Good news cat dish wasn't outside, I make a point of bringing it in every night cause of the skunks that we have seen out there and what ever else might come into the yard.

I was coming home tonight from work and this car was pulled over on the side of the road and the guy had a camera, I looked behind me and it was beautiful. Drove back around but don't think I captured it, I only had my cell phone. I need to start caring my camera around.
015.jpgView attachment 60071

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good job on the pond MT, but be very careful of those hungry bears!!

Just woke up in the middle of the night, no frost or freezing tempertures yet, and I don't think we will get frost.... will check again in a few hours. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, great job on the rocks. Looks very nice. And, I think you definitely caught that pic. It is gorgeous, mountains in the background and all.
Now, I'm wondering what plants are you taking in for the winter? I see irises, lilies, reeds ... all of which are hardy for my area, figured they would be for yours, too! Guess not. Or, maybe your pond is shallower, and you're afraid of it freezing farther down? Just curious!

Reaction score
CE I am leaving most of the plants in the pond, what I'm taking out is a couple canna lilies, a blue medusa rush, a corkscrew rush and a cattail. The only reason I'm taking out the last three plants listed is because they are in containers. Next summer when I get another shelve built and the rest of the rocks takin off the sides of the pond I will take them out of the containers and plant them on one of the shelves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, I understand. BTW, my daughter is infactuated with Montana! She posts gorgeous scenery pics of that state almost daily on her FB page. I know someday she and her fiance' will move there. It is her dream state. :blueflower:

Reaction score
CE when she shows up here let me know I would be glad to show her around! What part of Montana is she looking at? If she shows up here we would gladly take her for a sail on Flathead Lake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Man, she would LOVE that, MT! Actually, her fiance' is now in Denver area (1 hr. north, Windsor or something like that). He works in the oil fields. So, they will "follow the oil", as it is a super good paying job. She sounded like maybe in 7-10 years they may move there for permanent residence. But, she's still in her 20's ... never know about what they will REALLY do! I just know daily she posts pics from Montana website, and they are always soooo beautiful, like the one you posted on here! She's in love with the mountains and will never leave them, only move near other ones. :blueflower:

Reaction score
I think your daughter would definitely like it here then, we are in a valley so we have mountains all around us. We also have some nice smaller lakes and then there's Flathead Lake which is the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi. It is 27.3 miles long by 15.5 miles wide (thats the lake we sail on). There are so many beautiful places here to ride horses. When we had our horses we would ride into different places and camp for the weekend. Really miss that since we don't have horses anymore only have a pony left that was my kids when they were young. :(

Reaction score
Took one of the tarps off the pond on Sunday, some of the pine needles had made it through the tarp. Scooped out all the pine needles that I could( I don't remember the pine needles going through the tarp last year). Cut my water lilies back and may have to cut some of them back a little more. Ran the pump for a couple hours to clean the pond and added a little more water. Not sure why I haven't cleaned out the waterfall and taken my pump out of the skimmer yet, but I'm sure it will be happening soon. We have had a little snow but nothing like Mitch. :) Sorry Mitch. 30.4 outside temp and bottom of pond is 36.1. I wish I could run my pump during the winter but by running it during the winter I've found out the bottom of the pond gets really cold.

Ask a Question