High Nitrate

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Personally, I check weekly, This usually gives me a heads up that something is happening before it gets out of control. I keep a log book, each week I check the water, then make my water changes accordingly. If the nitrates are up or if I see and change in nitrites, I'll do a little bigger water change, I also monitor GH and KH weekly, If these two parameters start fluctuating you can count on PH fluctuations shortly there after if you don't get them back stable. This is usually a problem on older ponds than newer ponds, Newer ponds usually have more problems with Ammonia and Nitrite issues, Nitrates high are a sign of overfeeding, not enough filtration, heavy fish load, not enough water changes or a combination of any or all of these. O nitrate readings are rare to see, To maintain that pristine of water you have to be doing everything perfect and the fact of the matter is, few fish keepers really go to that extreme. Nitrates are formed from the breakdown of ammonia and nitrites which are constantly being produced. Which is why it's virtually impossible to read O unless you have Top of the line equipment, the most stringent maintance program, stock lightly, feed light, and do large water changes daily.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So far, zero on all readings, never have gotten any readings on nitrites, ammonia, or nitrates. Fish load up quite a bit with my 50 wally world fish, the original five, the fry, snails, tads, bugs lol. Even feeding two to three times a day, they are hungry buggers.
Ph being nice at 7.5 gh 89 kh 53 (yeah oyster shells kicking in!)
The plants and the bog must be doing a good job.

I only test every week or so, or when I remember lol

DC what is your water source? Mine is a acidic well. I have also seen a post where someone with nitrite level issues checked their source and the water source was high in nitrites. If yours still reads high with water changes you may want to check the levels of your source water.

My main problem is soft acidic water.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Last weeks cleaning of the excess mulm in the bottom was nearly perfect. The water is even clearer as a result.

Reaction score
My water source is regular drinking water. I still think my husband over feed the guys big time, he loves to feed them. Says they look hungry. I am happy my counts are going down. Today I cleaned some of the dirt/ pebbles out of the deep end and cut the dead leaves / flowers to the lily's in the pond. Not to mention plant a couple plants in the yard. Very hot. Did not get a chance to test water today, will tomorrow. Also clean the pump.
Water is nice and clear, which is a plus.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Did you build the Skippy filter using the directions on the skippy site? Meaning, no waste drain on the bottom of the filter, and no cleaning?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
You know, Dave, good question. It somehow was posted here and intended for a thread where someone described a skippy filter being used to reduce nitrates unsuccessfully. Dave, last night I had terrible insomnia and was trying to find something to quiet my mind. I claim no real knowledge of what I was trying to say, or to whom. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Reaction score
When I build the Skippy Filter it was from the directions off line. Not sure how it could not have waste at the bottom of the filter. After awhile the dirt, scum, ect. would drop to the bottom. I do have a drain plug at the bottom of the tub we build the filter in. I'll have to check out the site again to see if I did anything wrong.
The one trouble we have a few times thru the summer - is the frog likes to take up residence in the filter. Right now my hyacins are growing at the top. Plus I have a tomatoe plant to see how that weathers in the filter. So far so good.
But you do have me thinking how the filter is build.
thank you

Ask a Question