Carp pox that wont go away, tumors, or?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Hello all,

I have been busy this past year starting my own business, and unfortunately the pond has gotten a little less time and this group a lot less time!

So, if you’ll forgive my absence. I have a small 2 year old goldfish (I don’t feed my fish much, so while they are all normally quite healthy, they don’t grow fast) who developed what appeared to be an obvious case of carp pox when temps really dropped in the pond going into the winter. Problem is, it never cleared up, and the lumps have continued to get larger and don’t look superficial like the carp pox I’ve seen before. When this all began the fish seemed a bit “sick” - slightly lethargic, off balance, but improved in a couple days and has been acting normally and eating well ever since.

Can carp pox linger on for months and get worse, or might this be another fish with epidermal papillomas (albeit faster growing than my other guy), or something else?

Doesn’t match the descriptions of lymphocystus since these are smooth and dome shaped lesions, not cauliflower like in any way, also not fuzzy. The only disease problem I’ve ever had was fish lice from either a new plant or a fish that didn’t show signs during quarantine about 18 months ago and no signs of it ever since. No new aquatic plants or fish since.

Thanks for any and all opinions and advice. Pond parameters are all the same as usual since the pond was set up three years ago: ph 8.1-8.2, 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, Kh 89.5, Gh was untestable due to expired test solution but has never been a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_9940.jpeg
    IMG_9940.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9939.jpeg
    IMG_9939.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9936.jpeg
    IMG_9936.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think those are probably tumors from what I can see in the pics. I have a few fish with those. At least they look the same. They can live for several years with them.

As for carp pox, my understanding is that it goes away when the water warms. It may come back when the water cools again, but it seems that eventually it will disappear for good. Of course I may not be remembering that correctly, so please look that up to check.

Ask a Question