Orfe skin damage - guidance on treatment wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a largeish netted, well maintained pond containing loads of Goldfish and a large Orfe (at least 16" or 41cm) - its mates were lost to Herons. Several weeks ago we noticed a red mark on its back which we think may have been caused by a Heron. We've tried treating it by changing at least a third of the pond water and have now twice applied to the pond a fungus & bacteria treatment called Bermuda which was suggested by our local fish pond supplier. The red spot doesn't seem to be changing / getting better. Any suggestions? Do nothing - wait & see? These are the best photos I could get.
Orfe size IMG_2866.jpg

Attachments

• Orfe injury IMG_2864.jpg
    Orfe injury IMG_2864.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have you tested the water? That could be an ulcer caused by water quality. It can be treated with iodine and/or triple antibiotic ointment. But if the water isn't right, treating the wound would be of little help. Also, catching an orfe would be a major challenge.

Always fix the water first as it is the leading cause of problems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks – no I haven’t tested the water. Didn’t occur to me as I’m not very knowledgeable on this. I’m not sure what I’m looking for from a water test – what could cause an ulcer? The water looks very clear. I clean the two pumps regularly. The Orfe looks fit otherwise as do the other fish. I certainly don’t relish the idea of trying to catch the Orfe! Thanks again for your guidance.
p.s. sorry about the typo in my post 'We have a largeish pond......'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clear water has nothing to do with the quality of the water. Quality water depends on the levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH and pH.

It's always a good idea, in my opinion, to be aware of those levels. You can get tests for each one. Liquid type tests are much preferable to test strips. Strips are not very accurate so not that useful.

If you can get those tests and post the results, it would give us all a better idea of what might be going on with the water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the test kit (API 500 Pond Master) surprisingly quickly via Amazon and tested the pond water just now. The results: - pH 6.5 (target 6.8 – 8.2); Ammonia 0ppm (perfect); Nitrite 0ppm (perfect) & Phosphate 5ppm (high). Will take action to raise the pH slightly and to lower the Phosphate in accordance with the guidance provided. Could this have any bearing on the Orfe issue?
Big Pond Water Test Results 24 April 2024 11 a.m. P1050715.JPGBig Pond Water Test Results 24 April 2024 11 a.m. P1050714.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for posting those.

The pH is acidic and that can cause issues. The beneficial bacteria will be thwarted by acidic water and the fish aren't fond of it either.

A KH test would be very helpful as well and it doesn't come in any kits that I'm aware of. But I consider it one of the most important things to test for. The right level of KH will keep the pH stable and prevent it from crashing, killing the bacteria and your fish. Since your pH is low, I expect that the KH is as well. Both are easily raised using baking soda.

Many of us keep the pH around 8.2 or so and I keep the KH around 200 ppm in my pond. 100 or above is good.

Honestly, I never check phosphates. Maybe I should!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback & guidance. I'm going to try to get a KH test kit and will try your baking soda suggestion. Will post results in a while. Thanks again for your help - much appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are very welcome. We are all here to learn and share our experiences with others. I hope these changes will get your pond back on the right track and that your orfe will soon be healthy and hardy again.

We have a few orfes in our pond and they are my better half's favorites. Fun fish to have in a pond.

Ask a Question