270 gallon stocking ideas. Koi or goldfish, and how many

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I highly recommend you do not consider koi. You are just starting out with your first pond. Stick with goldfish, shubunkins are very nice colored and are much easier to care for. Start slow, build the pond, get your water balance right, learn what you need to look for and then add a couple of fish.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have no experience with turtles so can't help with that. We do have several members who keep turtles so hopefully they will post.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What type of turtles do you want to keep? Also, check your state laws there are various regulations especially on native species.

I keep diamondback terrapins in my pond. I believe brokensword keeps painted turtles in his pond.

You will need to beef up the filter system on your pond I would follow broken swords suggestion on a filter system for your size pond. Turtles are extremely messy water fouling machines.

You also need to design your pond so the turtles can’t escape, as they will wander off if they can get out.

My pond is over 8000 gallons and has 2 diamondback terrapins and a red ear slider I rescued about 2 years ago. The pond is heavily planted, with built in planting beds for lilies, and marginals. Also let a lotus pretty much take over the shallow end of the pond. There's a bog attached to the pond, as well. I pretty much let the plants do all the work in filtering my pond. Never really had any issues keeping turtles in my pond. However terrapins are not large turtles and aren’t plant eaters.

I used to keep painted turtles and red bellied sliders, they could destroy plants, especially in a small pond. Probably, should have thought out adding the red ear slider ( but it was a rescue)as they do get big and can be hard on plants.

I would recommend waiting to add turtles until you learn to maintain your water quality and your pond matures per MitchM’s post. Patience and a well thought out pond design are key to success.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Without a filter? 4 and you will still have algae issues. Heck 0 fish and you will have a problem eventually.
With a filter but no bog? Maybe you can get away with 8 eventually but you may have to put some marginal plants and change water occasionally.
With a bog and a filter? 13 fully grown perhaps.

Forget koi.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m just joining this conversation. I think you need to back up and listen to what everyone is trying to tell you! It’s not about digging a hole in the ground and deciding how many fish you can cram into it.

There is a “limit” to number, size, and type of fish for a very good reason. Several have already mentioned the “nitrogen cycle.” This is very important for the health and well-being of your fish. You have to have adequate BIOLOGICAL filtration that matches the needs of the fish you have. Goldfish, but especially koi produce a lot of waste that has to be converted by the biofiltration media. Yes, it’s possible to over-stock a pond and get away with it, but it’s usually only going to be your more experienced fish-keepers who have the knowledge and the desire to stay ahead of the bio-load. An over-stocked pond is a set up for disease and sick fish. Smaller ponds are harder to keep “balanced,” and we’re talking about measuring water parameters and taking appropriate action when something gets out of whack.

As a new person, your priority should be to learn the basics, start slow, progress slowly....learn. It’s exciting to start up a pond! It’s also frustrating, and at times discouraging — especially when your fish start to die “for no apparent reason.” But there is always a reason. For example, when someone recommends a particular ratio of fish, it’s because they understand what’s going to be happening to the water quality over time. You wouldn’t think it would matter, but just the growth of a few fish over a season can have a big impact on the water quality (ammonia, nitrites, etc.).

And about turtles. Nothing wrong with them. I love turtles (mine are non-aquatic, though). Turtles are very messy! This means that, especially for a smaller pond, they might be detrimental to your water quality. Just something to keep in mind.

It’s all about good water quality. And water quality doesn’t mean crystal clear water. It means water that’s balanced to reduce waste products that are harmful for the fish — adequate bio and mechanical filtration......monitoring......and adjusting.

Ask a Question