Photos of my 16x12x4 foot (4784 gallon) raised pond with waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Even though the weather is looking rather gloomy today, I thought I would take a couple of quick photos to show you all my pond.
It is raised 4 feet from the ground and is 16 feet wide and 12 feet long, and if my calculations are correct, holds 4784 gallons of water. To build the main pond we used railway sleepers to support the weight of the water with boulders and plants surrounding either side for decoration, with a smaller pond above filled with watercress flowing down a 9 foot waterfall into it. Around the inside of the pond we placed guttering which holds numerous oxygenating plants as well as having plants in the water. As well as the waterfall we are using a PondXpert SpinClean 20000 filter with UV.
As we are fostering a child, we had to have a safety net fitted, although this has also done a great job of keeping away predators from the fish.
As for fish, there are around 8 koi ranging from 2-14 inches, 10 gold fish varying from 1-8 inches, 4 rudd, a shoal of small minnows, and a few stickleback.
Now, enough talking, here are the photos of the pond;
Front View
1.jpg

Side View
2.jpg

Pond and Waterfall from Front View (some fish slightly in view)
3.jpg

Another Pond and Waterfall shot from a Front View
4.jpg

View of pond and plants from back corner
5.jpg

View of small top pond
6.jpg

View of waterfall from above
7.jpg

I am not the best photographer and I really did not do the pond any justice but really wanted to share, I hope the photos work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Beautiful! That is probably the most natural looking raised pond I've seen! You did a great job with the waterfall hill and the plants are lovely!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful! That is probably the most natural looking raised pond I've seen! You did a great job with the waterfall hill and the plants are lovely!
Thank you very much, the natural features definitely has its benefits too.. we have so many newts, toads and frogs living in there! I managed to get a photo of the first newly formed toad last week, and I couldn't get over just how many baby toads were hopping out of the pond guttering the following day!
toad.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a separate lotus pool next to my pond. The water is still and loaded with plants. I keep hoping to find tadpoles in it, but none so far.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just beautiful!
I couldn't get over just how many baby toads were hopping out of the pond guttering the following day!
I have baby toads everywhere. Try to make a lot of noise to make them hop away before I stop on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Awesome! I really like your plantings. Will you share your plant list? We are landscaping our new pond and need some ideas. I like variety in color. I can pick out your hostas and some of your grass covers, but at a loss for the rest......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed that is absolutely beautiful and definitely one of the best raised ponds, e en one of the best ponds I have seen. Great work. About how old is the landscape and the plants around the pond?

Ask a Question