JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't done much around my pond since I added it, other than replacing most non-native species with native species. However, I've been thinking about this since last fall and now that spring is (allegedly) here, it's about time to start this small project.

This little half-circle garden around the fence post has been one of my favorite garden areas within my pond area. It's always been a very colorful and densely planted mini-garden. It's an area that has been very attractive to native bees since there's a lot of nectar sources as well as bare soil for them to nest in.
IMG_7589 copy.jpg

I've decided it's time to make this area a little larger. The area just to the left of it has a few plants, but it's always been an area that's needed improvement. Last week, I discovered that I had more leftover bricks, likely the exact amount I'll need to make this happen. That's pretty good luck. I also still have a small pile of dirt remaining from the pond hole that I can use to raise the addition to the height of the original section. Depending on the weather, I may be able to start this week. As some of you know, I have a rabbit nest in the "original" area, so I'll have to wait for them to leave the nest before I work on that end.
IMG_7593 copy.jpg

Almost every specie that I had in the original section will be removed this year. I have a general idea of which species I plan to add to this new area.

Prairie Smoke. I added it to the original section last year. I'll be keeping it, as well as adding more of it in the future. I want quite a bit of it since it's such an early grower and bloomer.
IMG_2361 copy.jpg

Prairie Coreopsis. I just started growing it from seed this year, and I think that'll be a good area for it.
IMG_9985 copy.jpg

Purple Prairie Clover. I've had trouble with this plant - because rabbits love it. I'll try growing it in this area. If it grows it grows, if not, I may have to give up on it.
IMG_3685 copy.jpg

Long-headed Coneflower. This specie doesn't seem to do very well out in my native garden. It blooms, but doesn't get to the size that it should. It might prefer the slightly drier and hotter area by my pond, so I'm planning on moving it there this year. I love this plant and I'd hate to lose it.
IMG_4951 copy.jpg

Bush's Coneflower. I already have a few of these in the area. They grow a little shorter than Purple Coneflower, so I think they'll be a better fit in my pond area.
IMG_3161 copy.jpg

Stout Blue-eyed Grass. I have this growing everywhere around my pond, so I might as well add it to this section, too. I really can't get enough of it.
IMG_2471 copy.jpg

Rocky Mountain Penstemon. I know very little about this plant. I started growing it as a gift to a relative last year, but I'm growing a few seedlings for myself and I'll see how much the bees like it. If they love it, I'll probably keep it. (Photo from Google)
Rocky_Mountain_Penstemon_3.jpg

Orange Milkweed. It was growing in the original section, but may have died off last year. If so, I'll replace it with seedlings. Just one will be enough, so I'll have room for everything else I plan on adding.
IMG_3461 copy1.jpg

Beyond that, I may add one or two new species this year. I'm not quite sure what I want just yet. Guess I'll have to wait and see when the time comes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice idea and those bunnies will move on soon. I have the Blue Eyed grass in my pond area and it can spread as much as it likes. Have some Coneflowers I started from seed I borrowed from when out walking by Fall plants and they too are coming up now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sounds like a great addition to the area. I bet with that added area it will be very colorful.

I hope so! It should see blooms from April through August, which will be great for pollinators. It'll also be a popular hunting area for my frogs just as the original section was.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Going to be nice! My box turtle habitat is sort of my “native” area. Though, not all is actually native. But trying to landscape with lots of bloomers and annuals for the bees and butterflies.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Going to be nice! My box turtle habitat is sort of my “native” area. Though, not all is actually native. But trying to landscape with lots of bloomers and annuals for the bees and butterflies.

I imagine if you were to convert it to all native, it would be a phenomenal habitat!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Found a Meadow Blazing Star corm in the native garden that was growing. I've had problems with this specie rotting in the native garden, so I moved it to this new garden as a last chance to save it. I may also move my one and only Yellow Star Grass, since it's such a tiny plant, I'd rather have it in the pond garden area, where it wouldn't get so crowded.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The bunnies have left the nest, so I finished my project today. All I need now are the plants. The garden ended up being 12 feet long by 3 feet wide. I made it as large as I possibly could while still leaving a pathway between it and the pond.

IMG_7776 copy.jpg

Oh, and I saw one of the bunnies today.
IMG_7774 copy.jpg

Ask a Question