Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Thanks for posting that is a neat filter you built

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! I love problem solver thinking and this is a great example! A black waste basket would be nearly invisible underwater, although the pink one was definitely great for illustrative purposes as the water cleared. Although it sounds like you determined that the waste basket was superfluous to the design anyway and would just go with the foam block, right?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
While the use of this type of pre-filter has proved useful on a small pond application using a mag-drive pump, it is highly doubtful that a similar set-up could be used on larger ponds that use direct drive pumps as the pumps would be subject to overheating and resulting failure.

Reaction score
Thanks for a DIY solution!

I have a 100 gal water trough in my basement for wintering my few goldfish. It gets light through a window so the water always appears green and murky. I used a simple aquarium power head, a plastic quart bottle with holes drilled in it, and some quilt batting. Within 4 days, water went from hardly able to see through to crystal clear, batting was dark green/black the first 2 changes over 4 days. Now I change it about once a week. I still keep my 30 gal drum filter running for the bio-load.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b

I have a 100 gal water trough in my basement for wintering my few goldfish. It gets light through a window so the water always appears green and murky. I used a simple aquarium power head, a plastic quart bottle with holes drilled in it, and some quilt batting. Within 4 days, water went from hardly able to see through to crystal clear, batting was dark green/black the first 2 changes over 4 days. Now I change it about once a week. I still keep my 30 gal drum filter running for the bio-load.

Could you post a picture of this? I have a couple of power heads laying around from when I had a salt water aquarium.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

There is nothing harmful about some visible planktonic algae. It assimilates Ammonia, adds Oxygen, provides food for fish and zooplankton, which are also food for the fish.

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of this? I have a couple of power heads laying around from when I had a salt water aquarium.

My phone is not the best for pics, but you get the idea. My power head had a removable cone so I pulled it off, drilled a tight hole do the power head, slide the nipple through then put the cone back on to help hold in place. I also learned not to cram the bottle full of floss, it was getting sucked up in cone of power head. I small piece of course filter foam on top of floss in cured that. Make sure you drill a hole in the top to let bubbles escape or it will turn sideways or possible try to float. 20170219_190258.jpg 20170219_190309.jpg 20170219_190319.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If that is quilt batting it will clog up fast and need to be rinsed often .I know I use it and have to rinse mine often

Ask a Question