Pool to pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I'm new to this group and I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible from you guys. While I do not have a pond currently, I do have a pool that I'm tired of. Nobody uses the thing, it's costing us a small fortune to maintain, and I'm simply tired of doing all the work and dumping so many chemicals into it. Especially, if it is not being used. I've been thinking about converting into a pond but I can't just let the water go green if I don't know what I'm doing. Has anyone here done it? Can you share some advice? My pool is about 18K gallons, it has an 8' deep end, and it has a kidney shape (I'm not sure that matters). Also, we live in the hot side of Los Angeles. so that needs to be taken into consideration. I have a few specific questions:

Do I need to dump all the water out and put new water in? I just exchanged the water so I'd hate to throw it all out.
How long will it take before I can add some plants and mosquito fish? I do not want the expense of koi fish, nor do we want the responsibility of caring for them. Low-maintenance fish are fine with us. But we do want a lot of plants.

Can I use my existing water filtration system? It has a variable speed pump but I figure the filter would get clogged up very quickly.

I've attached a picture of what the pool looks like.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. No experience with pools myself but here some previous threads that may provide info and links to others.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your probably going to trade chemical expense for electrical use. pools run 4 hours a day maybe 8 depending where it is. Ponds run 24/7 up to October or November to May. If your handy and you have a sand filter theres a possibility to convert it to a bead filter.
There is a video where Aquascapes converted a pool to a fish pond for ohio rescue . and they built the wetland filter at the bottom of the pool. i have no idea what maintenance he does with some monster fish and crystal clear waters . but there are many discussions to be had

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

No experience, here, so no advice, but I seem to recall that people have partially filled in their pools (to reduce the volume and depth). Just throwing that out there. No idea how they did it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your probably going to trade chemical expense for electrical use. pools run 4 hours a day maybe 8 depending where it is. Ponds run 24/7 up to October or November to May. If your handy and you have a sand filter theres a possibility to convert it to a bead filter.
There is a video where Aquascapes converted a pool to a fish pond for ohio rescue . and they built the wetland filter at the bottom of the pool. i have no idea what maintenance he does with some monster fish and crystal clear waters . but there are many discussions to be had
So, good point. However, I have a solar system and power utilization is not a big concern. Also, I believe the size of the pool pump, vs. a pond pomp is substantially different. I have a 1/2 HP pump and it runs 8 hours a day. My filter is an elements filter so it may not work.

Thank you for your message.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I have never done it either.

Start a construction thread, we love to virtually help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
At 18k you will want to turn over the pond at least once every three hours. if you didn't have a pool with no obstacles it would be once every two hours or more.

Ask a Question