adding a stream to an existing pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi all. I have a 5500 gal pond with a biofall waterfall built into a berm. I now want to add a stream that hopefully would flow into the pond. I have about 40 fish in the pond. The existing land I have has an gentle slope that levels out near the edge of the pond. I have a 5200 GPH pump housed in a skimmer. Here are the questions I need help with. Can I put a Y on the outflow from the pump and use it to power both the flow of the stream and the falls? I'm estimating the stream will be 20-25 foot. My falls are about 4 ft tall. If I can't do I just put a new pump in the existing pond? Also when I dig the stream how deep do you all recommend? How do I introduce this stream into the existing pond? Thanks for helping.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Some photos of the existing pond and surrounding landscape would help immensely.
A couple of quick answers-
-Streams should have a minimum depth of 6 inches.
-Your existing pump is not large enough to feed both the waterfall and stream as separate features. Why not combine the two?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing you may need to consider is if you are going to run it year round or turn it off in the winter .Also consider flooding rains in your area .We recently had a ponder loose his whole pond to flooding .How wide are you going to make your stream as that will factor into the size of the pump .The effect of it will mater in that and how far the pump has to pump .Do you want a babbling brook type stream or a stronger flow of water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Some photos of the existing pond and surrounding landscape would help immensely.
-Your existing pump is not large enough to feed both the waterfall and stream as separate features. Why not combine the two?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 487
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This is a picture from last spring. I will add another picture to show the area that I want to add the stream to. Basically the area will be to the left of the picture. The ground slopes gently. You suggested I combine the two. How would I do that? The waterfall is built on a berm. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Im
Thing you may need to consider is if you are going to run it year round or turn it off in the winter .Also consider flooding rains in your area .We recently had a ponder loose his whole pond to flooding .How wide are you going to make your stream as that will factor into the size of the pump .The effect of it will mater in that and how far the pump has to pump .Do you want a babbling brook type stream or a stronger flow of water
I'm thinking the stream will be 20-25 feet. I'm not sure about the width. Can you make some suggestions. I'm still researching how to make a stream. I think I want somewhere in between a babbling brook and strong stream of water. As far a flooding. Last year we had a lot of rain in the spring. The pond got up to the level of the flag stone but never overflowed. How do you manage that with a stream? We don't normally get a lot of rain in Kansas. Usually I'm watching the weather report praying it will rain so I don't have to water my plants. Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My steam is around 85 feet long, it drops down a steep slope. I made it around a foot plus minus wide, (it had to switch back down the slope) It was dug 10-12 inches deep, with deeper pockets in the stream bed to hold water, plants and right before any waterfall drops down the slope. With small ponds at the base of each waterfall drop.

I do not have a gushing stream but it flows beautifully. Due to my head pressure I run the stream on a different pump, clear water pump, around 1200 gph. The head pressure is over 100. I run it on a timer.

My arizona pond had a 45 foot stream, around 2 feet wide, 10-12 inches deep with water retention pools, drop of 6 inches from start of stream to the pond. I ran one pump for that stream, filter and pond set up. I use external pumps, it was a beautiful stream, 6800 gph minus head pressure loss.

The owls would bath in it in the evening.

Both streams I double lined and put carpet pad below the liners. Here the deer walk in the stream, arizona it was because of all of the rocks I used.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Streams should have a minimum depth of 6 inches

May I ask the reasoning for this. My stream is as shallow as 1 to 1 1/2" inches going over the gravel in some areas which I wanted so small birds could stand in it. I do have deep pockets also. Mine moves fairly fast around 7000 gph. so the water over heating is not a issue at the flow rate with the shallow depth. Not questioning your advise just curious why. I do shut my stream down for winter due to the shallow nature of the design. However the ice I have ran it in has been completely fine and the water flows under it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My steam is around 85 feet long, it drops down a steep slope. I made it around a foot plus minus wide, (it had to switch back down the slope) It was dug 10-12 inches deep, with deeper pockets in the stream bed to hold water, plants and right before any waterfall drops down the slope. With small ponds at the base of each waterfall drop.

I do not have a gushing stream but it flows beautifully. Due to my head pressure I run the stream on a different pump, clear water pump, around 1200 gph. The head pressure is over 100. I run it on a timer.

My arizona pond had a 45 foot stream, around 2 feet wide, 10-12 inches deep with water retention pools, drop of 6 inches from start of stream to the pond. I ran one pump for that stream, filter and pond set up. I use external pumps, it was a beautiful stream, 6800 gph minus head pressure loss.

The owls would bath in it in the evening.

Both streams I double lined and put carpet pad below the liners. Here the deer walk in the stream, arizona it was because of all of the rocks I used.
Thanks so much. You sure must know what you are doing. I will put your information to good use. You said you used a timer. What is that for?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
May I ask the reasoning for this. My stream is as shallow as 1 to 1 1/2" inches going over the gravel in some areas which I wanted so small birds could stand in it. I do have deep pockets also. Mine moves fairly fast around 7000 gph. so the water over heating is not a issue at the flow rate with the shallow depth. Not questioning your advise just curious why. I do shut my stream down for winter due to the shallow nature of the design. However the ice I have ran it in has been completely fine and the water flows under it.

I apologize for not being clearer in my statement.
I was referring to what is called the 'bankful' of a stream or river. It is loosely defined as the water depth at which flooding will occur. Any actual water depth less than this OK.
The 6" depth (bankful depth) is to allow for any obstruction to water flow that may occur due to leaf litter or other debris that would result in an elevation of the water level behind the obstruction and is usually sufficient for a Garden Pond application. Like Addy's stream in Arizona, a 2 foot width is also typical of streams for Garden Ponds. As suggested earlier, this width can be varied for visual effect.
stream cross-section.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy uses a timer so she does not have run her stream all the time .I know a lot of addys stream has little ponds in the stream and they are great for effect .By the way crazyforponds I love your gardens and your pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
addy uses a timer so she does not have run her stream all the time .I know a lot of addys stream has little ponds in the stream and they are great for effect .By the way crazyforponds I love your gardens and your pond .
Thank you. It's brings me great joy to work outsides and I certainly have the pond fever. I find I wait all winter for that day that I can go outside.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think a lot of us feel the same .I was outside today working it did not get as warm as they said but the sun was nice .I did have a half hour of rain but that gave me a rest .It only got up to 64 today and they said 68 degrees

Ask a Question