Advice for fixing pebble edge stone liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, Bit of a odd one this but here goes.... Approx 2 years ago I created a lovely fibre glass lined pond in my back garden which has matured over this time and is now my pride and joy.
When I fitted it, I glued pebble edge stone liner around the rim and about 30cm down into the pond to hide the green fibre glass material surround. It looked great but now after 2 years the glue holding the pebbles onto the liner has started to degrade and the pebbles are dissapearing leaving unsightly bare patches on the liner. (This appears to only be on the top of the liner and not the section submerged under water - I presume the Sun has caused this)
Rather than draining the pond down and replacing the pebble stone liner, I am going to attempt to use a glue to stick new pebbles onto the top of the liner to sort out the bare patches. Picture attached.
My question is what sort of glue/adhesive could I use to do this (The current adhesive is a light beige colour) that would be safe for the fish?
Any advice would be appreciated?
Thanks

Attachments

• pond stone liner.jpg
    pond stone liner.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 614

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would try some polyurethane, clean the bare spots put some poly on it and stick in the rocks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Addy1 and thank you for your advice. I am presuming this will be safe if any of the polyurethane comes into contact with the water.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Could also try super glue gel to reattach pebbles. It is commonly used in reef tanks to attach coral frags.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could try aquarium safe silicone, comes in clear and black, sold at pet shops or Lowe's. Comes with a fine tip tube so ycu could apply on each rock individually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could try aquarium safe silicone, comes in clear and black, sold at pet shops or Lowe's. Comes with a fine tip tube so ycu could apply on each rock individually.

I was going to suggest the silicone, too - but if it's those teeny tiny bits of gravel you are reattaching, individually might be a challenge! I wonder how the silicone would hold up to the elements?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was going to suggest the silicone, too - but if it's those teeny tiny bits of gravel you are reattaching, individually might be a challenge! I wonder how the silicone would hold up to the elements?
Pure silicone should be fine; they make aquariums with the stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hmm, have had glass aquariums for over 40 years and haven't had to do that yet. Perhaps if they're not always immersed...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Didn't think of silicone, we have it sealing our huge windows, full sun, winds, freezing that stuff doesn't go bad. Get the good stuff rated to last and survive water immersion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you very much for all your replies. This gives me some great ideas. Silicone would certainly be an option, looks like I've got a time consuming job to do but should save draining down the pond and replacing the stone liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
hmm, have had glass aquariums for over 40 years and haven't had to do that yet. Perhaps if they're not always immersed...

Right - tanks that had been allowed to sit empty. The silicone would dry out. Maybe the newer products are more long lasting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Might not be as time consuming as you think; silicone/glue up a couple of areas (silicone does not set up fast at all) and take a handful of dry, clean pebbles, press this handful on the patch area, let the loose/not tacked ones fall into a container to be used for the next batch. This, as opposed to one at a time.

Michael

Ask a Question