Advice on Pump size and skimmer

Reaction score
I am a newbie building my first pond. I have done a lot of research and learned much from this site...thank you.

My pond will be 17x17 feet and 4' deep at the max (some at 2.5 to 3.5 feet) which I estimate around 6500 gallons. It will contain plants and some goldfish but no koi.

I am going to have one 4" bottom drain gravity fed to sieve filter then to pump then to waterfall skippy type bio filter. The waterfall will be 5" max height and 24" max width. I want a nice waterfall more than a "trickle"

but not "roaring rapids" either. The pump will be located no more than 8' from pond and waterfall.

My questions are 1) what size external pump would you recommend for this set up? The 5' height has me confused as to if the "low head" pumps would work or be too weak

2.) as for the skimmer (not yet purchased) it will be on the opposite end of the pond (to maximize wind direction blowing leaves etc, and opposite of water fall) This will be about 17 to 20 feet to pump.
Should I tie this line to the same line as the bottom drain line/pump or do something else with it? What brand would work best for this setup? My original thoughts are one pump with both lines feeding it...but
I guess this also depends on the answer to pump question.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice...I appreciate it!

Justin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Keep skimmer and BD separate.
The Cetus Sieve will only handle 4000gph so a sequence would work.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree with Dodad, sequence pumps sound like they would be best for this project. you'll want all water from the bottom drain to be filtered BEFORE it reaches the pump so the sieve can filter out solid waste and not puree poop. The skimmer pump could be internal or external but I would run it seperate from the Bottom drain. use one for the water fall and one for direct movement in the pond, if possible in TRP's so that there is a slight circling effect in the pond, this will help cyclone the waste to the bottom drain. you ultimately want to turn the total amount of water over in the pond at least once and up to 2.5 times per hour. so total pump size between the two needs to be between 6500 GPH and 15000 gph. keep in mind that the cetus sieve and the skimmer does have limitations. so you'll need to adjust your pump size to what they can work with.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
thwelcomewagon.gif
Mohawk

Reaction score
I know and I really dont want to use it but my space only allows for either that or a smaller size settlement chamber. Would say a 150 gallon stock
tank work in this situation If I keep the skimmer and bd separate? I would really like the cetus but not really in the budger. From what I have read if I keep the "flow"
from the bottom drain a little slower...then the chamber size can be reduced. But how much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you can afford it the Cetus Sieve or the don't take up much room.

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the advice so far. I have attached a picture (although not a very good one)
of the progress made so far. I have the waterfall running and the pump is working nicely.

My question now is what size pump would you recommend for the skimmer. The waterfall pump i am using is the sequence 4200 and it goes
into the Skippy filter. I have the Savio skimmer installed and am planning on pumping that from one side of the pond to the other (17 feet)
and then either back into the pond or into another hidden skippy filter. So not much head needed. I am guessing the 2000 to 3000 gph but not real sure.
the sequence at about 3500 gph is PLENTY for me so maybe the skimmer could take a much smaller pump?

Attachments

• Kearney-20111031-00022.jpg
    Kearney-20111031-00022.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 494

Ask a Question