Algae growing on surface of new pond (photos) - help needed

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've got a film of algae growing on the surface of a new pond, 3 weeks old. It makes the water look gloppy almost and murky.

We have added some new plants so I know that will have contributed to the nutrients.
IMG_0259.JPG

Does anyone have any tricks up there sleeve as to get rid of it or suppress it growing?

Thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 125

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It should take care of itself, but actually, instead on contributing to the algae, plants will help get rid of it — as with anything in ponding, it takes patience! The plants compete with the algae for nutrients, and eventually the plants should win out. Also, your pond is new so it isn’t cycled, or “balanced,” yet. Again, give it time!

For now, get a net and scoop out what you can.

What plants have you added?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
As Mmathis has stated. All great info. The more plants the better. They compete against the algae (which are also plants). You will come to realize that with all this pond stuff, things take time. Patience will eventually end with good results.
Please don't add any chemicals. Stay away from any products that claim it will clear it up and be fish and plant safe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Jono . Good advice already shared! I just wanted to ask if you have any aeration in the pond?
Hello Lisak1, No we dont. Its too far from an electrical socket. We have plants in there but anything under the surface will be struggling to get any light?!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Aeration would definitely help. How far exactly from the electricity is the pond? A pond with no water movement will be more challenging to keep algae free.

Marginal plants are also helpful in dealing with algae - do you have anything growing in the margins? Are there fish in the pond? How many and what kind? How many gallons?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Agreed, you should consider a method to circulated the water. With warmer weather coming, not only should you expect more algae but also the villains of the summer, mosquitoes...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Agreed, you should consider a method to circulated the water. With warmer weather coming, not only should you expect more algae but also the villains of the summer, mosquitoes...
Yep.. The mosquito larvae are here in force already.. we've got newts in the pond but I will try and find a couple of goldfish to help. Al shops here closed at the moment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Jono . Good advice already shared! I just wanted to ask if you have any aeration in the pond?

We got an old pond pump out of the garage and have borrowed a 50m extension cable.. We have had it on for a few hours a day and it has made a huge difference. The surface is much clearer but the water is still thick green. It looks a lot more natural now so thanks for the advice. Plants are growing fast, apart form the lily. we are waiting and when it comes it will provide some much needed shade for the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Clear water won't be "built-in a day". Patience my friend. Good thing we have time on our side. By the peak of summer, we should all have prize winning garden ponds! :love:

Reaction score
Country
United States
We got an old pond pump out of the garage and have borrowed a 50m extension cable.. We have had it on for a few hours a day and it has made a huge difference. The surface is much clearer but the water is still thick green. It looks a lot more natural now so thanks for the advice. Plants are growing fast, apart form the lily. we are waiting and when it comes it will provide some much needed shade for the water.
So how did you aerate the pond with the old pump? Don't you need a compressor for that? or are you using the other pump to shoot water into the air kinda to make a fountain and hence aerate it that way?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So how did you aerate the pond with the old pump? Don't you need a compressor for that? or are you using the other pump to shoot water into the air kinda to make a fountain and hence aerate it that way?
Any movement of the water will help to keep it aerated, especially if there is surface agitation. I have done this before. You are thinking about an air pump (like used in an aquarium, but larger). They add air to the water column by forcing air to raise to the surface — again, surface agitation. Water pumps can be placed in the pond like a regular (submersible) pump. Air pumps (that are rated for outdoor use) have to be covered to protect them from the elements, and not placed inside the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any movement of the water will help to keep it aerated, especially if there is surface agitation. I have done this before. You are thinking about an air pump (like used in an aquarium, but larger). They add air to the water column by forcing air to raise to the surface — again, surface agitation. Water pumps can be placed in the pond like a regular (submersible) pump. Air pumps (that are rated for outdoor use) have to be covered to protect them from the elements, and not placed inside the pond.
Got it. I have an old pond pump also that I'll now have running in a way that results in surface agitation. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes we had two outlets, one from the pump pushing water in one direction which was pulling air into the water and then we had a pipe on another outlet that went to the other end of the pond pointing up and creating a fountain of sorts which mixed the water.

Its completely transformed the pond. the green has gone and the plants are looking healthy. Thanks for all your advice. We continue to use the pump to keep the water moving and hopefully it will continue to get clearer. Weve even got a couple of fish in there too.
IMG_1343.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well i love that shape .I have to say very original shape .All things come in time

Ask a Question