Hi, I'm from Vancouver, BC , Canada. I have had 6 by 10ft pond for about 25 years, and just keep the ordinary comet goldfish.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Regarding water lily fertilizer, I have always used pond tabs which work well but are a bit pricey. I just planted a new yellow lily in an automotive oil drainage pan, sitting on 3 concrete building blocks. I've stopped worrying about the sludge on the bottom and I have two lilies growing in it. The fish fertilize them. If this works out,it seems a more natural way to grow lilies. The pond is 2 ft deep. I don't remember the name, but there is a single stem plant that grows well from the bottom up and is perfect for this kind of pond. I will look for it.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Specialized products are indeed pricey as you have mentioned. Many here use Osmocote for fertilizing lilies, much more cost effective. Another substitution is plain clay kitty litter as a planting medium, much cheaper than other Fuller's Earth/clay based products.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Crab waves 2.gif
Welcome @West Van Ken

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum. Specialized products are indeed pricey as you have mentioned. Many here use Osmocote for fertilizing lilies, much more cost effective. Another substitution is plain clay kitty litter as a planting medium, much cheaper than other Fuller's Earth/clay based products.
Thanks for the advice. I assume that is unused kitty litter! Some members say that Osmocote can be problematic; is it? I have a friend who feeds his fish Cheerios, which they like. That is very cheap. kb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have my lilies in *unused kitty litter in plastic dishpans on a shelf and I feed them osmocote and they are unstoppable! They are very robust and the water is clear.
Mine weren't very thrilled with Cheerios but they absolutely love chasing these on the way down.
1716289274057.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep unused 100% clay kitty litter w/no additives. I get mine at Walmart called Special Kitty in big bags for pretty cheap. Also use Osmocote granules or other fertilizer sticks,tomato sticks or things used for making things bloom. Lots of choices! The tab ones made as pond products are just more expensive as they have the name pond on them. You can stick the granule stuff in a small piece of paper towel and cram that down in the pot down deep w/fingers so it does not float away in the water.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yep unused 100% clay kitty litter w/no additives. I get mine at Walmart called Special Kitty in big bags for pretty cheap. Also use Osmocote granules or other fertilizer sticks,tomato sticks or things used for making things bloom. Lots of choices! The tab ones made as pond products are just more expensive as they have the name pond on them. You can stick the granule stuff in a small piece of paper towel and cram that down in the pot down deep w/fingers so it does not float away in the water.
Great advice; I appreciate it. Maybe Osmocote isn't sold up here. I wasn't able to find any yesterday,but can buy the sticks. I will use kitty litter in the future. I actually have too many goldfish so I need the heron to visit. Ken
Thanks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

Free range lilies are definitely easier to grow in the pond, but be aware that they can get MASSIVE and take over the whole pond. I watched a video of a couple removing lilies from an above ground pond that had been let loose for a few years and it took them days to clear them all out. The sheer size of the lily tubers was impressive... but also terrifying!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

Free range lilies are definitely easier to grow in the pond, but be aware that they can get MASSIVE and take over the whole pond. I watched a video of a couple removing lilies from an above ground pond that had been let loose for a few years and it took them days to clear them all out. The sheer size of the lily tubers was impressive... but also terrifying!
I saw maybe that same video...................it was horrid and too much work!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@j.w was it Lynn and Richard from Wisconsin Garden? They are an older couple with an absolutely beautiful yard and gardens. They haven't posted recently - I'm a bit worried that something happened.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w was it Lynn and Richard from Wisconsin Garden? They are an older couple with an absolutely beautiful yard and gardens. They haven't posted recently - I'm a bit worried that something happened.
Sorry can't remember. I think it was a you tube video tho I saw online when looking up letting lilies go wild. What was their forum name? One could maybe do that @ thingy w/their forum name and see if they answer.

Ask a Question