all in one filter, skimmer, etc.?

Reaction score
Bagsmom,

I would just put a small pump in the bottom of the pond with a prefilter on it so that the pump doesn't suck up any debris and run the pump outlet to a waterfall filter. Construct your own waterfall filter, don't buy one. Make it out of whatever is handy.

My Mom's neighbor built a waterfall filter for his really small pond out of concrete blocks and an EPDM liner with lava rocks inside the liner, then he just surrounded the blocks with wood, painted them and planted around it. It's an extremely crude and low budget method, but it looks great and it works fantastic.

Gordy

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Bagsmom; By the sound of it, your pond won't be overstocked, and the stream itself will probably provide more than enough bio-filtration for the set-up. If it were me, I'd put a skimmer on the pond with a row of brushes to remove floating debris, and leave it at that. I'd be willing to bet that you'd have no problems with ammonia/nitrite.
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gordy I have been thinking of doing something similar but for my lotus plants .Thinking of using my left over retaining wall block i got sitting under the porch .Using some of the pieces of liner I have left from the old pond .At least now I know my idea will work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Guess, I'm in the minority, but my commercial filter with UV light works well for my 1670 gallon pond. I also have a skimmer and keep my two pumps in it, behind matala.

I didn't know about this forum when my pond was built, so went with recommendations from the pond guy and local fish hatchery. Building your own filter, would certainly be less expensive, but mine works and is small enough to hide with land scaping.

Welcome to ponding!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It all depends on the set up and you probably maintain your pond well .Seems these days those kind of filters are getting more expensive than ever before .The materials inside them are also out of this world expensive .Matala mats are out of my budget ;)and i am in the furnace filter range :)

Ask a Question