Aluminum spillway fish safe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have an established backyard pond with an ancient concrete spillway/waterfall for water to circulate in and out of the pond via pump. It's like a series of shallow irregular bowls which trickle from one to another. I've done repairs on the spillway including sealing the old concrete, using foam in the cracks, etc but it still leaks so the pond gradually loses water if it's running.

Question: I have some rolls of thin aluminum sheeting lying around which was designed to be used for roofing purposes, and I thought of forming it into a liner for the spillway. Would the water pouring across the aluminum sheet harm the goldfish or wild things in the pond? I know aluminum sulfate is put into ponds sometimes. Does anyone use aluminum spillways or fountains, or to channel runoff to a pond? Have you experienced harm or no discernable effect?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think aluminum over time would be toxic to any pond life… but that’s an opinion, not something I know for sure.

Post a pic - we can help with some other ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new here and this was a long while ago so take it with a grain of salt but I remember when tagging along with the navy in southern america they were extremely strict about trash going overboard especially aluminum pop cans an such claiming it messes with marine life I couldn't remember what exactly it was but after a quick google search it appears it messes with the ability to regulate salt , breathing , and reproduction issues. Not sure if the stuff you thought about using would affect them or not.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are few metals that leach more than aluminum. Though we drink from aluminum cans almost daily . They are sprayed with a coating to keep our food away from the aluminum

Ask a Question