anybody have experiance with fin rot?

Reaction score
I noticed one of fantails had clamped fins,small hole in tail,tips of tail were a brownish color and opaque areas on tail. I brought him in and put him in hospital tank and did one round of treatment with furan 2. Fins are no longer clamped, opaque areas are just about gone,brown tips are almost gone but still has hole in fin and there are still a couple of splits in the tail so I decided to continue with another round of furan2 since it seems to be improving with it. So my question is how do I know when it is ok to put back in the pond. I have 2 more days of the second round of furan2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
As soon as all signs of fin rot are gone marsha however lets look to find out where you are going wrong because fin rot doesnt just happen like that .

Dave

Reaction score
As soon as all signs of fin rot are gone marsha however lets look to find out where you are going wrong because fin rot doesnt just happen like that .

Dave
Well I test water weekly with the drops and all seems good, ph 7.5,ammonia 0,nitrite 0,nitrate0, kh 6 drops, iv been checking other fish and they seem great. Im wondering if he could of just had a rough time wintering and was week . iv never seen any of the fish nipping. When you say all signs do you mean no split in tail fins. And how long does that take?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Normally
Well I test water weekly with the drops and all seems good, ph 7.5,ammonia 0,nitrite 0,nitrate0, kh 6 drops, iv been checking other fish and they seem great. Im wondering if he could of just had a rough time wintering and was week . iv never seen any of the fish nipping. When you say all signs do you mean no split in tail fins. And how long does that take?

Yes winter can be very hard on our fish I agree thats why prepping the pond for winter removing dead leaves etc plus givng the filter a good clean can make a great deal of difference as to if our fish come through alive and without health issues.
We do waterchanges throughout the winter months but ours is a formal koi pond that has been insulated against the cold as has the filter housing and to top both the pond and the filter housing off for added protection we have Policarbonate roofing sheets which even down to -15c havve helped keep the pond constant at 7.c could you take a photo of the tail and post it so we can have a look please

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've often wondered how you can tell true fin rot from just wear & tear.... I've seen fish before with ragged fins, but always thought it was environmental.

Maybe this fish was spawning....?

Reaction score
I will try to get a picture, but it is very hard. He wont stop moving, his tail is constantly wiggling. He does seem to be a lot better though. It even looks like he may have fin growth starting. its just on the very tip. The tail didn't look as bad as some of the photos iv seen of tail rot but I do think its cause I caught it early . You could hardly see it when he is swimming. What looked bad was the opaque areas on his fins but that has cleared up completely now and I don't see the brown streak that was on the very tip anymore .Other fish in the pond seem to be doing fine.Iv been testing his tank water and keeping it clean and finished 2 rounds of furan 2 so Im just going to keep him in his hospital tank with clean water and keep a close eye on him to make sure it starts healing before putting him back in the pond. I just cant get over how much better he seems compared to when I brought him in, he looked pitiful.

Reaction score
I've often wondered how you can tell true fin rot from just wear & tear.... I've seen fish before with ragged fins, but always thought it was environmental.

Maybe this fish was spawning....?
This little guy had areas that were opaque or cloudy looking on his tail fins, and you could see little brown streaks at the tips of his tail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This little guy had areas that were opaque or cloudy looking on his tail fins, and you could see little brown streaks at the tips of his tail.
Mmathis its because true fin rot is very destructive to the fins and rays , if this gets down to the fishes body, septicemia can set in and the fishh die.
If it survived there would never be another fin in that area of the fish again.
marsha a photo would help solve this for you, could you catch him/her put him/her in a tank and take a few shots please ? :)

Dave

Reaction score
Ok it took forever but I got one good one.Buy the pic it looks like he still has a brown area. But I don't see it when I look at him. Could be because he moves it so quick. Don't now what else to do.
DSC_0006.JPG

Reaction score
he used to have opaque patches back towards the base of the tail that are gone and it seems to me he has color starting back at the ends that were white, but im worried about the brown line on the very top tip now. What do you think Dave? should I try a different type of medicine? He is still in the hospital tank.Uhhg! Starting to stress over this! Buy the way thanks for trying to help me with this, I appreciate it very much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
marsha from what I can see from this photo there is nothing to worry about there is no reddening of the fins no evedence of the infection that you see with fin rot how old is this goldfish please marsha ?
I ask because they sometimes keep changing colour as they mature and grow the splits you have should heal given time , thats the problem with over long tail fins they are very easily split like that especially during the mating game .
I hope this has helped settle your mind some what however do keep an eye on it as splits can develope problems.
I had to opperate on my Ochibas left pectoral last year due to a split getting a little ball of infection as it joined the rest of the fin at the base of the split it was son back to rights after we removed the infection

Dave

Reaction score
This is the second summer with him, he is still very small, only about 3 1/2 inches. the guy at the fish store thinks im nuts because Iv spent close to $60 dollars to try to save a $3 goldfish but I am determined to help this little guy. Is there anything else I should do now besides clean water? And how long should I keep him in the hospital tank before putting him back in pond with other fish.He always seems to be looking for a way out of it swimming up and down side to side. im starting to feel bad for him!:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This is the second summer with him, he is still very small, only about 3 1/2 inches. the guy at the fish store thinks im nuts because Iv spent close to $60 dollars to try to save a $3 goldfish but I am determined to help this little guy. Is there anything else I should do now besides clean water? And how long should I keep him in the hospital tank before putting him back in pond with other fish.He always seems to be looking for a way out of it swimming up and down side to side. im starting to feel bad for him!:LOL:
He could if you wish go back in the pond now marsha :D

Dave;)

Reaction score
I would love to see him with his friends! I was just worried that I might be rushing it. He is very active now and fins are no longer clamped so maybe today is the day. have to admit Im going to miss watching him at night. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would love to see him with his friends! I was just worried that I might be rushing it. He is very active now and fins are no longer clamped so maybe today is the day. have to admit Im going to miss watching him at night. Thanks for your help!
Not a problem marsha any other issues just give us a shout :)(y)

Dave;)

Ask a Question