Anybody set up wireless cameras to watch their ponds when away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy1 said:
I use a DNS service supplied by the company that made the dvr. My provider started changing my ip addy all of the time. With the DNS that is a non issue. I have a ap on the phone, log in from anywhere to check the pond, property and house. Just love it. Currently we have 8 cameras running, it is around 3 years old, honey said it is time to upgrade, so we might do that.
Just to clarify here... What you are using is called DDNS (Dynamic-DNS). There are a number of providers online who offer this service for free. I actually run my own DDNS for some of my customers.

Basically what it means is this: When you connect to the internet, your ISP gives you an address, and that address can change every time you reconnect. If you want to connect to your computer from another location, you must know what your address is, so you need a fixed address that you can connect to. With a DDNS setup, you run a program in the background that checks your internet address every few minute and reports it to the DDNS service. You are probably given a name, such as shdwdrgn.myddns.com, and the DDNS provider maintain the records to make the connection from that name to your computer.

Ask a Question