Auto cargo carriers -- I need help

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm sure many of you guys travel and was wondering if you've had experience with various types of "cargo carriers" and add-ons. There is a chance that I'll be driving my vehicle on a 12 hour trip to an out-of-state Boy Scout camp. And if so, will be at my passenger max which means not much room for any gear or equipment [there will be other means of getting stuffed packed, as other parents will have vehicles to carry our stuff -- I hope. Hey, if I'm totin' their kids, they can tote my gear, right? o_O].

I don't have any experience with using a cargo carrier, so don't know what to expect (other than reduced MPG) and there are possible issues with each type.

I drive a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.
  • it's a "high-profile" vehicle, so concerned about a roof-top carrier -- we will probably drive through some windy areas
  • because it's a hybrid, there is a sacrifice as far as how much weight it can carry (and no, I haven't looked that up, yet, but will)
  • the trailer hitch sits [it seems to me] very low to the ground -- only 11" clearance -- if I chose to go with the hitch basket
  • it has a luggage rack on top, but it also has a moon roof [which is fore of the rack], so don't know if that would alter the dynamics of a roof-top carrier....since it seems this type of roof rack is smaller than standard [but I don't know]
Anyway, if ANY of you guys have experience and/or helpful tips for me, PLEASE chime in. What are your experiences with these?

I may not know for sure until a week before the trip if they'll even need my car, but I want to "Be Prepared!"

Some examples of what I could consider......
image.jpg

Is an 11" clearance enough for a hitch basket (D above)? I don't want to bottom out on every bump or pothole!
image.jpg

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Someone told us that you can reverse the ball and flip the hitch so when it goes in the receiver, the ball is higher up. I can't find a reference to that anywhere and am not sure if it's safe to do so. Is it OK to do that?
image.jpg

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I highly recommend you contact your Toyota dealer's service department manager regarding the roof top carrier. If not a good match with your Highlander could be a disaster waiting to happen. Have you considered renting a a small U-Haul enclosed cargo trailer? Personally, I am leery of hitch mounted cargo baskets.

You are smart for researching your options.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I see a lot of hunters around here hauling stuff on the trailer hitch set up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a hitch mounted cargo carrier, worked fine.

Ask a Question