Bacteria recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One other thing. Whenever you get new fish, you should always quarantine them yourself. It makes no difference if the dealer has quarantined them. That only means that they had no reaction to his water and what might be living in it. Your water won't be the same and there are likely different organisms living in yours that may be harmful to the new fish. ......

I am absolutely going for a strict quarantine procedure to protect the new fish in the future. The new koi guy has an entire business model centered around the health of the koi. He has a big sign. I quarantine for at least 14 days and so should you or something similar. Then he says to start introducing the pond water slowly after the first two weeks then let them live in only pond water for a couple more weeks to change their biome. I have definitely learned it is not just about protecting the pond inhabitants. We're getting a good sized stock tank for the future so longer term is more spacious for the new ones and a better sized hospital tank. I am worried I'll be losing the two babies left still. They do forage but in the last week they're less interested in food, they've started clamping their fins and sitting on the bottom occasionally. No darting or flashing. Then they jet away so fast when trying to net them. If I only get them too weak to swim away, I stand no chance at treating them. I have to get the balance back for them to stand a chance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just an update because I always want to know an outcome. Some bacteria will be here tomorrow to boost things along. I got the seachem prime in today. I had just done the rest of the api stress coat pond I had. So I will redose tomorrow to keep the ammonia safe. No water change this weekend. Just going to rinse the 'polishing pad' from the weir and empty the leaf baskets. The polishing pad basically just catches fine debris. Rain is coming, so I won't top off.

The dolomite powder balanced the gh and kh imbalance. My gh wasn't crazy low, it just didn't have the right minerals for the good kh. I now have a ph that maxed out at 8.3-8.4. The liquid api test wasn't quite 8.2 or 8.4. I can't find the digital meter.

My fish are not sluggish this afternoon. I have some algae regrowth finally! So they have been happily foraging.

The two babies (Orangey and Fe) still seem quite stressed and I think the ammonia really affected them more due to the high afternoon ph. Orangey is a little bigger than Fe and while she looks a little red still and is still clamping her fins some, she has also been social and foraging and even ate some food just now. Fe however was planted on the bottom this am. Fe is black with gold on the belly and fin tips, so I can't really see if they are red too that deep in the water. Has been hiding since too. They both had maximum stress in their lives so far. I hope they recover with the pond ecosystem. After reading about the seachem prime, that sounds like it might even help them with their slime coat naturally? The api stuff is just aloe and that doesn't last if it even does anything. So I am also grateful to have a better water conditioner out of this! Maybe that will tilt the scales just enough for them to bounce back.

Thank you for your inputs and experiences. I will take all of this into account over the next decades and caution going forward.

I will have some questions about plants and things later, but do not want to make another change anytime too soon after nearly destroying almost a year of careful work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry but it looks like your a fan of chemicals. Your adding more in the next few days than I have in 6 years. Give mother nature a chance to do her thing . Patience is key. Instead of chemicals look at your filters, feeding, is the food a quality source, is too much food being given? is there adequate aeration and circulation. is maintenance on par.

In short look for the causes of the issues. Not solutions in a bottle.
Maybe one issue is your filter is to small? Many manufacturers have inflated numbers of how much their system can do. Is there too much or to little flow.
There is a lot of organics / dead plants in your water, that can clearly be an ammonia source.
few air stones here a couple air stones can even solve dead spots as well as provide extra O2 to the system.
Your reading posts on koiphen but your pond has a natural flair. All the organics in your pictures would never be in a koiphen setup. so you need to find your happy medium.
as we always say here what works at one pond is not necessarily the answer for yours.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your deep dive into pond keeping is admirable, but you will find many, many, MANY opinions on ponds that are as different as night and day. I got the boot from several pond forums when I first started out because I had (GASP!) rocks in my pond! In the eyes of many, that's a surefire way to kill all your fish and probably yourself, too. They told me my pond was too dangerous for me to get in, let alone keep fish - all the trapped debris would rot and turn into toxic waste apparently. They also scoffed at my bog filter - said my water would never be clear and my fish would all be dead in a matter of months. (Spoiler alert - neither was true.) Even faced with the FACT that my pond was functioning beautifully after one, two, five years, they continued with their dire warnings until they finally kicked me out. And every single "fact" they stated was backed with "research" and "studies" and decades of pond keeping "wisdom". They could not accept that you could keep a pond full of fish without constantly tinkering with the chemistry and testing constantly and cleaning complex filters and backwashing and water changing and adding salt and on and on and on. Meanwhile, I was just hanging out, enjoying my pond.

One important question - what kind of pond do you want? If you want a garden eco-style pond, then that's the direction you go. If you want a DKP (Dedicated Koi Pond) then koiphen are your people. The reason they have to be constantly vigilant about water quality and fish health is because they purposely overstock their ponds. They want to be able to keep as many fish as they can in their ponds, so they push the limits. They compensate for their overstocking by using filtering systems that rival anything NASA has built. Some of them have whole garages full of filtration. It's pretty impressive actually. But what you won't find in a DKP is rocks, gravel or plants... which are all vital to an eco-system pond.

The moral of the story is - you will always find someone with a "better way". (Usually they're trying to sell you something.) For myself, in our quest to build a stress free pond, we came across an old guy who had been building and maintaining ponds for decades. He shared one piece of advice that stuck with me - "fill your pond and leave it alone. It can take three years for pond water to mature. Once it does - treat it like gold."

You've gotten off to a rocky start - I get that. You want to protect the fish you have - also understandable. What they need most is a stable environment. One sure way to KEEP your water from cycling and to STOP that bacteria you're looking for from growing is to keep emptying and adding more water - not necessary. AT ALL. The only reason I would remove water from my pond would be if something toxic had gotten into the water. Other than that, removing the water is never the solution. Another way to mess with a new pond - keeping adding stuff. You want a natural pond? Then trust nature. You want to be continually stressing about the newest "problem" - keep tinkering.

Do your research in your backyard - stay off the Scholar. None of us here are that smart (well, I know for sure I'm not!) and yet here we are - happy pond owners!

You said you would have questions about plants later - my suggestion is you start asking THOSE questions now. Get that pond planted ASAP. Nothing will help stabilize your pond faster than some healthy growing plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does strike me as odd that you are willing to add most anything that you feel will help your pond, but not plants for fear they might upset the balance.

Plants are probably the best thing you could add and I feel there is no reason not to add them now.

I'm glad that you are getting your pond where you want it to be and that your fish seem to be doing better.

And it's good that adding baking soda worked for you. But if there were not sufficient calcium in the system, adding baking soda would have made the pH keep climbing from where it was at the high in your pond.

I use baking soda in my pond to keep the KH up and the pH stable. Rain here is acidic and the nitrogen cycle itself produces acid, so the KH will fall over time, or with heavy rain.

There is nothing wrong with research. But there is also a great deal of knowledge that comes with experience, but no one's knows it all. There are always different paths to the same goal.

By the way, if you find out how to turn nitrate in a pond to a gas, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does strike me as odd that you are willing to add most anything that you feel will help your pond, but not plants for fear they might upset the balance.

Very good point. The three most important things in a pond - water, fish and plants. Got the water, got the fish... the next is obvious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I somehow published before finishing with the events recently. I have saved the updated post which might still need approval before showing! I can't shake that I need a better bacteria blend for what's to come and to process what's there. Spawning has also started. I forgot to add that. It just seems something is off because of how often I am having to clean despite there being no leaves, etc...

Microbe-lift advertises these two together reduce maintenance.

PL + Nite Out II

Is it ok to switch? Would I still add the enzymes?

I am not trying to have a pond I can ignore, but I don't think I should be messing with it every 3-4 days just to keep the water clear. Also, if I wait until the end of the week, I think I see a slight change in ammonia test. Not quite the .25, but not perfect yellow 0 either. I am using API liquid tests.

Thank you!
When I first started ponding, I was very scientific on what I was putting in the pond, I had more products for the pond than my neighborhood supplier. I had ECOFix, AlgaeFix, PhFix, etc, After 2 years I stopped all of that extra help, I have plants and fish and they keep it all under control with almost no help from me, other than making sure the pump is working for the waterfall to keep the water aerated. I have have fish, frogs, Japanese snails and an occasional snake - still use some algae control solution but that’s it.

Ask a Question