Best way to transport 12" koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
I have raised ten baby koi in my two connected 600 gal (ea) ponds for about four years now, along with some assorted comet goldfish. All have done well. So well, in fact, three new fry appeared two years ago and this last summer saw the appearance of four new fingerlings, which is beginning to strain the ecosystem. So I have decided to adopt out the largest fish, which are now in the 12" range. Provided I can find some local fish folks, what is the best way to safely transport fish of this size?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That all depends how far your shipping them, but good move getting the big ones new homes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Large coolers or totes work well. Just make sure the fish are facing the side of the vehicle, not front or back.
A battery operated aerator would be advisable

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
United States
Thanks to all. I don't intend to transport any fish for any longer than 10-15 minutes by car, so I think a large cooler per fish filled with pond water will provide sufficient dissolved oxygen and enough room to move.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Absolutely . but as mentioned place the cooler long ways across the car not front to back if a fish shifts and hits the wall head on it can break there back / screw up their lips. but to be honest a bag doubled up is still the best . and place that in the cooler

Ask a Question