Bigger fish - crazier spawning time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah my koi and orfes are just starting to show signs of spawning. Can get noisy out there with all the splashing, then have to check to see if anyone is getting damaged. My one large (dragon scaled koi) seems to always have a few big scales hanging off him afterwards.
Have you ever thought of hand stripping the female and male (no scale damage), it will save the fish from damage and you can control when and where the eggs hatch. Just a thought?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have rehomed one aggressive male this spring, and so far the others are more polite. If not, they will go too.
I do the same , BUT IT'S THE MALES THAT GO HERE but only the super aggressive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have films of more than one fish in a snake mouth. This year no hornwort forest, pulling it all as fast as it grows. Not going to lose over 200 fish again. Made a perfect snake ambush place.
That's how I felt about my floating plant baskets last season, made a perfect nursery for the fry....we were overrun with them. Plants are great hiding places.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have you ever thought of hand stripping the female and male (no scale damage), it will save the fish from damage and you can control when and where the eggs hatch. Just a thought?
Not really worried about it at this point, the fish always recover. Also, not looking to save the eggs, but a good idea if I ever decide to try and raise koi.

Ask a Question