Bird food mix

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
We're spending too much at the grocer for bird food. We have a ver wide variety of birds. Everything from doves, cardinals, finches, bluejay and many others. Including the occasional bunch of crows.

From the grocer we currently buy sunflower seeds, finch food and a bag of general bird food the mix it together. thinking if we go to a farm feed and seed store we could create a good bulk mixture while saving money. What do you recommend and will we be able to save money while feeding quality bird food?

North Texas Zone 8a.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't speak specific to your question Lou but I do know that when you go to a feed store and buy the larger bags of feed it always works out cheaper than what you buy at a pet store or grocery store.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be a little concered that the farm seed may well have been treated with something that may harm the birds with .
So before you go ahead and do this Big Lou you test the waters and ask if it is indeed treated or not:)
If not then you can use it ;).

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Dave 54 A feed store is just a place that specializes in animal foods and supplies (horses, rabbits, goats, birds, fish, etc) They cater to people who have livestock or people involved with 4H clubs etc. Many times they sell feeds in larger bags (50 pounds) than you can buy at a local pet store or grocery store (and can be milled at the facility or be a brand name product)

And I got your PM but have not had a chance to sit down and answer you yet. I will soon though ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Can you not grow some of the native plants that provide seeds for native birds, Lou?
That's what we have been doing here.
In the winter we purchase bird seed, but we encourage native plants to produce seed during growing season.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lou go to tractor supply, they have feed pretty cheaply. I buy mine in 40lb bags from costco and other seed from tractor supply.

During the summer they snack on all the plants I have growing. Winter they go through around 40 lbs every 4-5 days. ....hungry little suckers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
40 POUNDS! That's like two hundred pounds a MONTH! What the? Now I know where all of our birds head for the winter!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Each feeder (2) I hang holds around 19+/- lbs of seed, when it is snowing cold miserable they inhale it. And yep a bit pricy, but they depend on me, I have been doing it for 6 years now. 4 40 lb costco bags of seed a month...................... if not more, never less lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Tractor supply is where I go also go feed the birdies. I go thru about 80 pounds a month during peak times. I buy the largest bags I can and then make my own mixture. I go thru lots of suet cakes too. TS has 10 pack boxes for the best price. I feed year round. I could already be retired if I did not feed them :) It is something I really enjoy.

I also get 50lb bags for cracked corn for the ducks. I am on my 3rd bag already and will need a forth soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our neighbor next door feeds - we provide the water! Seems like a pretty good arrangement to me, now that I hear how much food they need!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get the suet at tactor supply also nice cakes good cost

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lou, as you know, I'm in zone 8b, and only about 190 miles to your east, so I probably get most of the same birds you do. The only thing I feed our birds is black oil sunflower seeds. Unless it's a patio feeder where there's going to be a mess from the hulls, then I use shelled seeds, usually safflower, or whatever it is that cardinals like.

Over the years, I've gotten all these mixes they sell, or I've tried to mix my own. And every time, I end up with a mess where the silly birds fling everything out and ONLY eat the sunflower seeds. So......I just don't mess with it any more: black oil sunflower seed is what's on the menu! That's my solution! And I still get cardinals, doves, finches, chickadees, titmice, juncos [in the winter], squirrels......you name it! The ground-feeders like the doves & juncos always seem to find enough on the ground.

Ask a Question