Bizarre Heron Death

Reaction score
As most of you know I have been battling the green heron for many months. I assume its the same one. He's so crafty. He would duck under my fishing lines, step on nets around the plants to weigh them down. Nothing was stopping this guy. He knew me from my husband, he knew our schedule. Knew when to go to the pond. I mean this bird was crafty and it paid off for him, he ate several hundred dollars worth of fish.

Suddenly two days ago I noticed he stopped coming. I thought he got fed up with my new partial netting technique. Well my Mom calls me to come over (we live next door to each other), some how this crafty bird got tangled in a chain link fence around her property. How that happened I will never understand. I mean chain link is strung super tight, and I had watched this bird duck under fishing line and weave his way through netting. Somehow he got tangled up in this fence and died.

I'm sad but relieved at the same time. I mean this bird was eating all my fish, which wasn't fair to the fish, but I didn't want to harm him. The netting I used ended up killing other animals and I just ordered new netting. I will still put up the new netting because I'm sure it won't be long before another heron takes up this hunting ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The most bazzar heron death I have heard of was in the book The koi Doctor by Maarten Lammens DVM there is a photo of a Heron that has caught a koi and the koi was too big to be eaten by it and it choked to death ,asad end for your Heron Prascilla I know but look at it on the brighter side it wont hassle your fish anymore (y)

Dave

Reaction score
Yeah, its really weird. My Mom wondered if her dog started chasing the bird and he flew into the fence ... ? Just strange. But yes, I am relieved. It will probably be three weeks before my new net arrives.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Poor heron. Its even sadder when you see how smart they are and then they die.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bet it was a panic flight! Got spooked took off in a hurry. I watched the herons here take off without even really looking when I spooked them.

Amy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sad and strange, but at least you won't have to worry about your fish..................................for now. Maybe you won't get another one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hate seeing anything dead, one reason I could never hurt the herons that hunted here.

Reaction score
Yes, I would have never killed him (not that I could have caught him to kill him). I was sad. He used to be our favorite bird before we got a pond with fish in it.

Speaking of which, I saw this video on wellness on our local tv the other day. This lady is talking about something - I don't know, I was too busy admiring the large pond she was sitting by. Its so funny, she talking away, there are cameras there filming her and up flies the green heron and starts eating away! Check out this pond, with a floating dock! This is in someone's yard. Very cool

http://www.cayman27.com.ky/2014/08/27/staying-a-step-ahead-focusing-on-your-core

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pond and yep I see that bird looking for a quick snack. Surprised he would stick around w/ all the recording going on.

Ask a Question