blank canvas

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm trying to decorate my new pond with some plant life. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I love lilies, but I want to make sure to get it right the first time. I plan to incorporate both floating plants and lilies. Any suggestions?

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was hoping for some good suggestions for species that work well together and in the PNW climate. I dont want to saturate the pond with too many plants so each one has to count.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Any of the hardy type water lilies will work. Just don't get too many depending on your pond size. Too many covering your whole pond surface can cut off needed oxygen for the fish. I have a Water Hawthorne that has just started doing well this year and I like the little white flowers it gets. Also like Parrots Feather, Azolla (a tiny floating mass of reddish green plants. The Sedges in pots do well and help suck up the fish nitrogen fish waste really well. Pretty grasses too also help and look very nice. Yellow Flag Iris is nice too but can become invasive unless you keep it in check. I love Ferns planted around the edge if you have some shade from larger plants for them. Hornwort is a nice one too. It stay beneath the water and just floats freely or as mine did, attached it self to some airline tubing and seems to like that secure feeling. Have lots of other plants growing around the pond edge too.

Sedge grassy plant on the left
IMG_6011.JPG

Parrots Feather
IMG_1976.JPG

Azolla growing in a tub pond for safe keeping, otherwise I dole it out to the fish sometimes or they will mess it up too much. Not sure if the eat the whole plant but maybe the roots.
IMG_5653.JPG

Ferns
IMG_6045.JPG

Hornwort
IMG_5663.JPG

Water Hawthorne
IMG_6027.JPG

Water Lilies (Hardy)
IMG_5037.JPG

Misc.
IMG_4134.JPG

Creeping Jenny
IMG_4043.JPG

Lots more like mini cattails, Creeping Primrose, Watercress, and others let you know what they have also.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@j.w A question about your netting..... I can't find the specific threads that addressed using this. Can you either link me to those threads & posts, or again, explain how it's done.....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Ask a Question