Blind koi?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For any pond treatment, I always rely on the MSDS spec sheet. This is required by the government and MUST be accurate,
This was what I was lead to believe was in Melafix Meyer
Melafix Contains the natural botanical extract from the Tea Tree (Melaleuca, an excellent alternative to resistant strains of bacteria that are unaffected by traditional medications. Treats bacterial infections such as red ulcers, fin and tail rot, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, and others in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins. Doesn't affect pH; safe for invertebrates. 64 oz is a concentrated formula and doses 19,000 gallons.
Now as you can see it clearly says tea tree so I'm more than a tad confused here it either does or doesnt ?
The only thing I can think of is differing ingreadients for different countries a bit like you cant get the ozonated Gel "koi clear Gel in the US but we can in the UK".

Dave

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Dave& Meyer-I have checked several websites and companies that carry it. It's made from a plant in the same family as the tea tree but contains a different chemical. Both are used to treat infections and fungal problems but Melafix is supposed to be more suitable for treating fish. I'm hoping I won't need to use it but as the water is still very green, I can't get a good look at the fish. Got a fines filter running so maybe by tomorrow?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

This was what I was lead to believe was in Melafix Meyer
Melafix Contains the natural botanical extract from the Tea Tree (Melaleuca, an excellent alternative to resistant strains of bacteria that are unaffected by traditional medications. Treats bacterial infections such as red ulcers, fin and tail rot, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, and others in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins. Doesn't affect pH; safe for invertebrates. 64 oz is a concentrated formula and doses 19,000 gallons.
Now as you can see it clearly says tea tree so I'm more than a tad confused here it either does or doesnt ?
The only thing I can think of is differing ingreadients for different countries a bit like you cant get the ozonated Gel "koi clear Gel in the US but we can in the UK".

Dave
Please post a link to the Melafix product description that you posted above. Product labels do not ever tell the whole story, that is why I rely on the MSDS spec sheet.
MSDS for Melafix clearly states that the active ingredient is Cajeput Oil.
http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?p=downloads&id=629

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cant find it sory Meyer howwever no worries here is the link into Melafix for you :-

http://www.apifishcare.co.uk/product.php?sectionid=2&catid=6&subcatid=0&id=145

Again the main ingreadient is tea tree oil

Dave
This has always been a problem in horticulture....the use of common names. One plant may have several different common names depending on geographical location and many times the common name may apply to several completely different plants. This is why gardeners try to use the botanical name when designating a plant.
You will notice in the description on the API site it clarifies which 'Tea Tree' they are referring to...Melaleuca cajupet which is non-toxic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I really must get into botanical names when it comes down to our koi mistakes can easily be made the difference beteween your API site and mine is yours is the US as there is a difference between the two

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I really must get into botanical names when it comes down to our koi mistakes can easily be made the difference beteween your API site and mine is yours is the US as there is a difference between the two

Dave
Problem is that the people that write the text for these sites may not know the difference and pass along what can be interpreted wrongly. Sadly, this is prevalent world-wide. I received a newsletter last month from an 'established' Pond supply dealer in which was stated in an article about UVs that the UV unit released particles into the water that killed the algae.
Completely untrue. Neither particles are released nor is the algae killed. More misinformation being spread to confuse those trusting souls that this person calls their customers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is that the people that write the text for these sites may not know the difference and pass along what can be interpreted wrongly. Sadly, this is prevalent world-wide. I received a newsletter last month from an 'established' Pond supply dealer in which was stated in an article about UVs that the UV unit released particles into the water that killed the algae.
Completely untrue. Neither particles are released nor is the algae killed. More misinformation being spread to confuse those trusting souls that this person calls their customers.
Ths is my gripe about the internet Meyer and why I prefare to read books and text books on the subject but I agree with you whole heartedly in what you are saying it is bar far to easy to put the wrong idea out or the wrong way of doing things and its the poor person who knows least who come a cropper over it,
Books have mistakes yes they do , I have one or two in our collection but if you know thats rong then no harm done .
Books also go out of of date in their thinking but with many of the Ichtheopogy books we have there is always another volume .
Our job in reality in helping people out is to stear them around misinformation

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Ths is my gripe about the internet Meyer and why I prefare to read books and text books on the subject but I agree with you whole heartedly in what you are saying it is bar far to easy to put the wrong idea out or the wrong way of doing things and its the poor person who knows least who come a cropper over it,
Books have mistakes yes they do , I have one or two in our collection but if you know thats rong then no harm done .
Books also go out of of date in their thinking but with many of the Ichtheopogy books we have there is always another volume .
Our job in reality in helping people out is to stear them around misinformation

Dave
Sorry to cause a conflict guys- I do appreciate you help and suggestions and will let you know how it goes.

Conflict isnt being made mrschem learning is on all sides weve learned that differing countries use differing oils in the Melafix for starters.
Then Meyer has given us horicultural names to learn which we'd do well to remember as they are important and the forum is working as it should with a too and fro of information.
The important thing here are your fish and how exactly to get them 100% again :happy:

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry to cause a conflict guys- I do appreciate you help and suggestions and will let you know how it goes.

Any conflict on this subject is a result of the manufacturer (or retailer) wrongly describing the ingredients of a product. This is too common of an occurrence in the Pond industry. This is why I rely on MSDS spec sheets. Labels are written by ad-men; MSDS are written by scientists and technicians.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
got the Melafix today. Tested water and everything seems ok except ph is still at 9. The string algae is starting to form little islands of green gunk. The 64 ounce bottle of Melafix will treat the pond for 7 days which is what they recommend.
My concern is the ph which normally is 7.5. I know it will be up with the algae bloom but will it stress the fish? I don't want to over react but I don't want to lose any more fish. Now I have to get my netting back up as I have red tailed hawks flying close over the ponds since the fish are now coming up during the day.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Update- Treated the pond again yesterday and once the foam cleared I can see several fish that seem to be doing ok, swimming normal and munching on the string algae. The water is still murky but no more deaths and no one at the surface. The 2nd pond seems to be doing well. The fish are looking to be fed. Going to drain down 60-70%, clean the bottom and refill. I'm hoping this problem is done with!

Ask a Question