Blue waterlilies

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Thanks everybody. It's been warmer than usual lately. High temp will be above 70 all week. The elm trees are budding. They think it will be spring soon.

Reaction score
Attached is a photo of a water lily that I had in my pond until it died out from neglect. It's a native, Nymphaea elegans aka Tropical Royal Blue Waterlily, that ranges from Florida to Texas. I bought it from a grower in Texas, Strawn Water Gardens, that apparently is now defunct.

I would love to have another chance with this beauty, but an extensive search of the internet hasn't led me to a single grower.

Attachments

• DSCN0563.JPG
    DSCN0563.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
Good greif these are all amazing ! I want to do this color of Water Lilliy someday . I et the feeling blues are tropical only , Are there any hardy blues ?

Reaction score
Hi Stephen,

I want this particular lily because I'm something of a purist about using only indigenous plants in my garden, and nymphaea elegans is native to Florida. It's also quite lovely.

I think if you search the web you might find hardy as well as tropical blue water lilies.

Harriett

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sorry, Stephen, but so far no-one has hybridized any blue hardy lillies. :grumble:
John

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Recently some people have crossed tropicals with hardies and created purple hardies. I have not seen any lily flowers that are pure blue, but several people are working on that also.

Ask a Question