Bog like cove

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
One of my big projects last year was dealing with the Cypress tree knees and roots growing in a very small cove in my pond. My objective to keep the roots and cove filled with pond water was not a total success. This year thought I would bite the bullet and cover the roots with a suitable material. Note that the cove will remain wet at its shallow bottom. I want the filler to promote growth of any high moisture loving plant plus be beneficial to the Cyress knees. Hope the new fill will not turn into stinky muck.

What material should I use as a filler and what should I do to help this little area get adequate water? Btw, it's bottom is higher than the adjoining pond.

Photo of bitty cove after cleaning out the over grown Irises last year.
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a little confused. So this picture is the normal height of the water?
And you want something to cover the roots and knees so it will look better or so it will get something else to grow as well?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No suggestions @Big Lou except to say I would share your concern that the area would just get smelly and stagnant. Which is not necessarily a bad thing in nature - some critters like that kind of environment, I imagine - just not maybe what you want in your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a little confused. So this picture is the normal height of the water?
And you want something to cover the roots and knees so it will look better or so it will get something else to grow as well?

What I wrote contradicted the photo. No, that is not the normal level shown in the photo. Water had been removed to make clearing out the irises easier. Sorry for not being clear.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What if you had a tube of water or a little waterfall pumping some water in that area. Would that keep it fresh enough so it would not stagnate but not too powerful so that it flushed whatever you put in there out into the other part of your pond. You could hide the tube w/natural stuff to cover it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What if you had a tube of water or a little waterfall pumping some water in that area. Would that keep it fresh enough so it would not stagnate but not too powerful so that it flushed whatever you put in there out into the other part of your pond. You could hide the tube w/natural stuff to cover it.

Great idea! Would a foutain pump put out enough water?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe, and if you have one to try already then go ahead and see. It just depends on how much gurgle you need to move the water good enough. Now if your talking about the delicate spray type fountains then I'm not sure that would work. I have a bubble up type on that moves the water nicely.
I had these in my pond and I'm not sure they would do the trick for you in that spot:

IMG_0967.JPG

Thinking more along this line:
IMG_4923.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wondering, since the water is low in that area right now, and will be higher, why do you need to cover those knees? Sounds like you had lilies, but they got overgrown. Why not try other plants that love water? I'm thinking Elephant ears, or something like that. I kind of like the look of those roots myself. :) They obviously don't need something covering them, they are searching for the water. I have to wonder if you are concerned at all about them taking over that part of your pond, though... Another questions ... does that area water flow into another area of your pond? Might want to post some more pics so we have a better idea. I would keep any type of dirt out of the mix if at all possible, though. Just have water, and plant things to cover the area, if you don't like the looks of the knees. You could put plants in pots to help contain them, too, and then sink the pot down into the water. Lots of possibilities.
And, JW, thanks for the pic of irises blooming and your goldfish swimming around. I think we all need some bright spring colors right now ... to get us past these next few days until the warmer temps hit us all to stay ... hopefully!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What about a small - like tiny - pump (like an aquarium pump) underwater under your little cove with a tube that you run to the back of the cove and send a small stream of water to flow through? You have lots of spots there where a small tube could be concealed. The only challenge would be electricity to the pump.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have made some homemade spitters with a small/med fountain pump, plumbed with irrigation tubing and that small PVC tubing [CPVC?]. I was able to customize the flow and the way it flowed without overpowering anything with too much water flow.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You don't indicate the size of this area, but I think that you need not be overly concerned with water circulation for this area. I would use just plain Top Soil, like the Big Box stores sell in bags. I have a similar area on my pond that is 8' x 8' x 1.5' deep that is filled with just plain dirt. Never gets smelly. Does the soil immediately adjacent to a natural pond or lake get smelly?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The roots since growing would keep any water in there from smelling and I am sure frogs and tads and butterflies and even dragon flies would love that area.Also if you put gravel in there with a small plant you would have a mini bog and if you added a small pump ,win win for you

Last edited:

Ask a Question