Butterfly parents yet babies look like goldfish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have three large butterfly koi one female two male. We put these three in a soft side kiddie pool to breed them and the babies don't have barbels. A few have nice colors, many orange, many dark. The babies are shaped more like a goldfish than a koi. Is one of our parents a koi/goldfish hybrid? Kinda disappointed because two years ago we got five babies like the parents that are beautiful.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdy-frog--11-1.gif
and welcome @Wirenut
Good question but I only have goldfish so don't know if it's possible that koi could start out w/o the barbels. Wait.......I just looked online and it says they get them after around 2 wks old or so and then it even says those fall off and they get new ones: https://aboutbackyard.com/koi-barbels/ So I am learning as I go here too :happy:

Reaction score
Country
United States
They do change color with age, and barbels can get bigger. Wait and see what they look like as they get older.

Ask a Question