j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think you could keep maybe 3 of the tiny little feeder fish or something in that pot for awhile and when they get too big you will have to go bigger but I just saw you live in Seattle and if we get a really cold freeze that pot could freeze and bust. If it doesn't freeze you would still need to keep a hole in the ice for the gases to escape. Maybe just make it a Summer project and bring them indoors in the winter? Wouldn't be much different then an indoor aquarium w/ fish in it. Are you gonna try and rig up a filter or will you just have to change part of the water all the time? Don't forget the drops for removing the chlorine from your city water or bye bye fishies. Another thing is you prolly won't ever see the fish in that pot cuz the water will turn dark from algae and the fish will hide anywhere they can. I'd put a water lily in there instead of fish or maybe if you just want the fish for mosquito ridding and don't care if you see them then that might work and you could use a variety of tiny cold water hardy fish like Rosy Reds or ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The shape of the pot won't allow for much viewing of your fish. You'd have to peer straight down into the dark pot to catch a glimpse of them. I think it would be lovely spilling into something else, that hold fish……you could fill this with water plants for filtration. Kim

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
It's a shame people don't know about and respect those inexpensive fish.
Hey now, be fair.

Nobody knows everything about everything. That isn't realistic, or possible.

and,

j.w said:
I think you could keep maybe 3 of the tiny little feeder fish or something in that pot for awhile and when they get too big you will have to go bigger
j.w.'s point is what I also was saying, maybe I should've been more clear. Shubunkin and Comets, at least in my experience, are always sold large, while 20 cent goldfish are sold small and would be a good/cheap way to test if it would work.

Ask a Question