Can I use this planter as a fish pond?

Reaction score
Just purchased this planter today at Home Depot. Originally $110, on clearance for $31!

Its made of stone resin and comes lined with waterproof black liner. No holes in the bottom of the planter.

My question is can I use this as is (after rinsing?) Or are there chemicals that would be dangerous to the fish? If thats the case, can I just line it with pond liner?

Attachments

• 20131216_171629.jpg
    20131216_171629.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 20131216_171618.jpg
    20131216_171618.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 287
  • 20131216_171642.jpg
    20131216_171642.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 302

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
put some water in, de chloro your water, add a few feeder goldfish, see how they do. No clue on what they may have lined the pot with

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
probably depend on the type of the fish, for that size pot. but dont know what they lined it with so I cant tell if there would be any harmful chemical or not

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I love these threads entitled "Can I ----- ". In the back of my mind, I always think "Of course you can! " After all, YOU bought the container, YOU paid for it (I assume), YOU took it home, YOU opened the box and took it out..... IT'S YOUR CONTAINER!!! You can fill it with YOUR water, put in YOUR fish and plants, and NOBODY can stop you! The real question is: "Is it a good idea?", and only your experience with the set-up will tell you that. If it works out (and I think it will) then the next time someone posts a similar question you can tell them that you tried it and it worked. If no-one experimented, we'd still be wondering if that mud puddle in the back yard could house minnows, or if there was something better than concrete for a pond. Try it, and be sure to let us know how it turned out! :cheerful:
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could always buy a can of that spray rubber stuff if you are worried about chemicals being in the pot make up .I used it inside a stock tank to seal a crack and put a couple of baby fish in it and plants and it has not leaked yet or killed the fish.Why not make it into a pondless feature where the water spills over into a basin .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's a nice planter but way too small and inappropriate to keep any kind of fish in especially goldfish (which can and do grow very large is given proper care and space)

I do like the pondless water feature idea though

If you are set that you have to have fish in it then I would suggest trying a couple of rosy reds (small fish used as feeders) you will need some type of pump for aeration for the fish to survive long term.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
called hd they do not have that one but have a shallower one that is bigger just not as deep and it is 22. dollars clearanced out here .The manager Chris sent me a pic wit the measurements .Told him to hold one for me as heating contractors are replacing fan motor on my indoor unit .If it rains it pours when it comes to things breaking down ,darn it

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd try it, but I would never put anything else in it than those 20 cent goldfish. Pond fish like Shubunkin or Comets would be too big for that

Ask a Question