Cleaning pond question

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just drained the pond and moved the fish 'cause of some maintenance we have to do. Once we're through and ready to refill, is it necessary to clean (scrub off) all the algae that's accumulated on the liner?

Reaction score
Both is true. Some is dead and would add organic waste to the pond, whether that meets a person's definition of polluting a pond is a personal call. Whether algae comes back to life would be determined by many factors, how long it was dry, stuff like that. But for sure you can bet there are spores present which would grow into living algae. So I think the bottom line is I would expect it to come back.

Reaction score
According to me, it is necessary to clean all the algae before refill because if you do not care for your pond, algae will grow and grow and after that it will pollute the pond water and harm for fishes also. So, you need to take proper action to control algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
According to me, it is necessary to clean all the algae before refill because if you do not care for your pond, algae will grow and grow and after that it will pollute the pond water and harm for fishes also. So, you need to take proper action to control algae.
Sorry to to contradict you there Carol but in our pond the algae is like a closely mown lawn our koi keep it trimmed by grazing on it in between feeds and throughout the winter months during the no feed period Algae wise weve had absolutely no problems with it at all not even the baine of many fish keepers blanket weed.
Blanket weed is the one that just grows and keeps on growing in peoples ponds most probably due to a high nutrient content of the water or filters not quite up to doing the job they are designed to do.
This is what weve gleened from what weve read in our reseach into blanket weed , trying to find the answer as to why weve never had a problem with it .and seeing as we have seriously large filters on our pond it seems to bear out what we are reading

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep koi do love that stuff and it sure helps keep the water clear .Since rebuilding my pond in March water quality is not as good since there is nothing growing on the liner .I even kept rocks that I used to hold plant pots up with the good stuff on them and kept them in a tank and added them to my pond but fish have eaten every bit off the rocks I saved .I miss my good muck .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish inhale anything that manages to grow, algae wise. Between them and the bog the pond does not have much. If I ever drained it I sure would not scrub it clean.

Ask a Question