Question..spring cleaning of Koi pond

Reaction score
This is the first winter for my 2000 gal Koi pond containing about 17 Koi approx 6-8 inches in size, they started last spring about 3-4 inches. I plan to power wash the pond in the spring and give it a good cleaning. How long should I wait before removing the fish after they come out of hibernation? Should they be eating for a few weeks? I don't want to stress them out when I remove them from the pond. We are in NJ and there's still ice (I have a surface heater). Any info would be appreciated. I also have some frogs and snails but their status is unknown. Thanks

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
allanl said:
This is the first winter for my 2000 gal Koi pond containing about 17 Koi approx 6-8 inches in size, they started last spring about 3-4 inches. I plan to power wash the pond in the spring and give it a good cleaning. How long should I wait before removing the fish after they come out of hibernation? Should they be eating for a few weeks? I don't want to stress them out when I remove them from the pond. We are in NJ and there's still ice (I have a surface heater). Any info would be appreciated. I also have some frogs and snails but their status is unknown. Thanks

Why are you planning on "power washing" your pond? It takes a good year to get the surface growth that makes your artificial pond more natural and healthy for your fish. This is not a fountain or swimming pool, it is your Koi's home.

If you have a lot of debris on the bottom, it is advisable to remove it, but a sterile environment is not healthy for your Koi.:bowdown:

Reaction score
I appreciate your advice, I want to power wash the rocks along the edge of the pond (not submerged) that have alot of algae. I also have a waterfall that could use some cleaning. My question is how long does it take the koi to readjust to feeding life after winter? I won't feed them until the water is 55. Correct?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
hes right... that layer is actually beneficial bacteria and blanketweed that feed on the toxic chemicals produced by your fish, and decaying plant matter,

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
50* is o.k 55*is better,cold water food (spring/fall),feed light amounts several times a day,slowly feed more at a time, less frequently. are you rolling the border rocks back to power wash? i ask because of possible contaminant residue in powerwasher getting in pond water. we were posting at the same time i guess, yours showed up first!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
allanl said:
I appreciate your advice, I want to power wash the rocks along the edge of the pond (not submerged) that have alot of algae. I also have a waterfall that could use some cleaning. My question is how long does it take the koi to readjust to feeding life after winter? I won't feed them until the water is 55. Correct?

When the water gets into the low 50's for several days, toss a few pellets in and observe them. If they go for them, you might add a few more but not a lot. When it gets above 55 for several days, slowly increase the amount to no more than they can eat in 5 minutes.

Out of habit, they might eat before thier bodies can digest food, so don't be fooled before it is time.

Reaction score
allanl said:

they readjust right away. manda or cheerio's is a good at 50 degrees to start with. don't mess with the pressure washer unless you are removeing the fish for weeks. it will stir up bad bacteria under the rock that may out do the good bacteria in the spring and you may get sick fish.

if you are thinking about taking the fish out for weeks do pp treatments to help with cleaning your pond.

Ask a Question