Cleaning UV Tube?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Happy Monday! I have a 13 Watt UV Bulb in my 500Gallon and were wondering if you ever need to clean the Quarts Tube that fits over the bulb? My water goes through a medium debris pad and a Fine Debris pad before going into the Bio Ball chamber and then up through the UV Clarifier before heading back out into the pond. I would not think algae could grow on it (lol) and a lot of fine sludge gets caught in the media, Has anyone ever taken theirs apart to change the bulb or clean the tube? Does it get dirty? Thanks, just wondering for future planning and things to look out for :)

Reaction score
I have change my UV bulb several times and have found out that you get what you pay for when buying "cheap bulbs" from ebay. I am extremely pleased with the replacements from Atlanta Light Bulbs. I haven't ever replaced the quarts tube. I have read that you can and people do.
When my tubes that carry the water to and from the UV get Sludge built up in them, I just go to Lowes and buy new hose. Haven't seen that same build up in my UV quarts tube. It appears clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Camping Creecher! I bought 2 spare 13w UV Bulbs when I bought the filter for $20 and plan to replace it every 6-8 months as it runs constantly and I also check my Bulb Window (clear 3" acrylic window on top of the filter showing the bulb tunnel) every night to make sure I see light lol. Thanks again :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, over time the bulb will be covered with limescale residue and other slime and this thin film will reduce the bulb's effectiveness. So, just use some hydrogen peroxide to clean it up good with a soft cloth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK we use white spirits to clean the quarts tube well other areas they do...
We have a soft water coming through our ppes so it isnt needed remember to wash it after cleaning to get rid of any spirit residue.
Do you happen to know what your water is Jason Soft or hard ?

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dave 54 said:
Here in the UK we use white spirits to clean the quarts tube well other areas they do...
We have a soft water coming through our ppes so it isnt needed remember to wash it after cleaning to get rid of any spirit residue.
Do you happen to know what your water is Jason Soft or hard ?

rgrds

Dave
Thanks Dave, Not sure, I know I have a relatively high PH (7.8-8.1 alkalinity) so I guess it's "Hard" right?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Dave is correct. The residue created as a result of minerals, called limescale, only occurs whenever the pH is quite alkaline and the hardness is quite high. Now, there are also other residuals that form in a thin layer on the bulb. Limescale generally starts out as a slime and then, when allowed to dry, turns white. In my literature, buried somewhere, there is a good article talking about why limescale, in order to be created, requires an alkaline water since the acidity in more acidic water eats away the constituent parts of limescale.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Jason said:
Thanks Dave, Not sure, I know I have a relatively high PH (7.8-8.1 alkalinity) so I guess it's "Hard" right?

With a 7.8~8.1 pH, I think you will have this limescale only if your water is hard.

When water is alkaline, this means the pH is higher above 7.0, and, in our context of pond keeping, water is considered alkaline when it is near the 8.0 range or higher.

When water is acidic, this means the pH is lower below 7.0, and, in our context of pond keeping, water is considered acidic when it is near the 7.5 range or lower.

When water is "hard", this references to the mineral content being quite high.

When water is "soft", this references to the mineral content being quite low.

Do not confuse "alkaline water" with "water alkalinity". These are not the same and the words "alkaline" and "alkalinity" have two completely different meanings. "Alkaline" only refers to a high pH. "Alkalinity" only refers to the water's pH ability to resist change.

Now, naturally, you will often find that "alkaline water" and "hard" water are synonymous due to the fact that carbonate rock formations are often present that water naturally filters through in the mountains, streams, and aquifers, which can cause the water to be hard and alkaline. However, this is not always true. Depending on the rock formations, how the water is obtained, and how often it rains, water can naturally have a high level of the magnesium, iron, calcium and other minerals, which would make the water quite hard, but the water can still be quite acidic, but the most common occurence is that, when water is hard, then water tends to be more alkaline. So, do not assume things about your water without testing it first.

Unfortunately, to the laymans and newbies out there, when they says "alkalinity" they may actually mean "alkaline" and when they say "hard" they may actually mean "alkaline" and vice versa since these terms often are interexchanged and confused, which is understandable.

So, it does get a bit confusing, but it is very important that you know this so to use the correct term when talking to advice givers since they only know what folk are talking about according to the words that are used to portray their situation. It is very important to be accurate in regards to this particular subject when solving water problems.

Ask a Question