Conditions for hyacinth to bloom?

Reaction score
Was wondering about this and have done some research. I find a lot of comments about people sometimes don't see any blooms all year. I have also read some things I don't if they are accurate or not. One was they bloom when more confined. I started with 2 plants for my biofalls and I keep them in baskets. I have been pinching off the offshoots when the baskets fill up and tossing them into the pond.

I have 4 baskets in my falls and a milk crate in front of my skimmer to hold plants. This afternoon I collected all the floating offshoots and filled up the baskets and the crate, put my water lettuce in the pond to float around. Thought I would test this theory of confined space, maybe it's bunk?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like to experiment, too. You never know what you'll end up with. I know on this forum, some say theirs get 100% sun & do great, while others with same conditions report zilch, etc., etc. Sounds hit & miss, almost. Last summer was my first summer with the pond, and I was happy for my WH to grow and stay green. Then one day noticed I had a bloom, which caught me off guard. Some were confined and some were loose. This year, all are confined, but not getting a lot of sunlight. So, we both get to see what happens in our respective ponds! :)

Reaction score
I will definitely update! If nothing else maybe confining the hyacinth will encourage growth upwards. I've seen pictures where they can get pretty tall when confined, I think that would soften my falls and skimmer area more. I'm using a milk crate with the plants in it as a sort of pre-filter to my skimmer (also have some in falls as mentioned). It keeps plants from being sucked into the skimmer and I can also lay a piece of quilt batting in that stay in place by the pull of the current to catch finer algae.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Regarding the full sun issue. It maybe the same as duckweed. When you are just getting a small colony full sun is too much but once they take off the love the sun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some in the big pond, some in the little stream pond. Both contained both full sun. The stuff in the stream pond, warm water, stream runs 3 times a day, bloomed a ton more than the ones in the big pond. The warmer water and I think more nutrients in little pond was the difference..............I THINK! lol

studiovette

GS PETE
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing actually but with my lillies? So far this is my first yr with a pond and have a few lillies flowering. Can I do anything else to get the others going? Do all or most lillies only flower in full sun?

Attachments

• 20130629_105713.jpg
    20130629_105713.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 244

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
studiovette said:
I was wondering the same thing actually but with my lillies? So far this is my first yr with a pond and have a few lillies flowering. Can I do anything else to get the others going? Do all or most lillies only flower in full sun?
Yes hardies bloom in the full sun only. Past that the like fertilizer. Most people use tablets (more like nuggets) made just for the purpose. aka Lily Tabs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Last year, the only hyacinth blooms I got were from the ones up in my barrel filters, so I would have to say that crowding is definitely part of the criteria. I also had hyacinths in the small pond at the bottom of my stream, where they were also getting the continuous wash of water from the pond -- these were not crowded, and did not bloom. I'm not sure if sunlight is an issue, the ones I had bloom only get a few short hours of sunlight each day.

Ask a Question