Construction details on turtle-bog water return system

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's getting to be that slow time of year, so thought I would post about how I made the weir-thingy, or water return for the turtle bog. I think I posted about that a few months ago, and this is what I came up with. Believe it or not, it works!

First of all, and I didn't take pictures, I used a pipe-boot method of attaching the liner to the PVC pipe: cut a small hole in the liner, then pushed the pipe [4"] through. Made 2 "gaskets" also [from scrap EPDM], one went directly over the pushed out part of the liner surrounding the pipe, then a pipe clamp [those screw-down ones] over that, followed by another "gasket." The gaskets are supposed to protect the liner from the clamp. Screwed the clamp down really tight with a socket wrench.

Now, on to the weir......

....a 4" "T" connector, a 12" plastic grate, and a 4" atrium grate [I got 2, but once cut, only needed 1].
Glued a small section of 4" drainage pipe on each end of the "T" then once the glue set, used my saw tool to slice out a section where the grate would fit.
image.jpg

Then had to cut the grate down to 12" which is the length of the weir. The ends were open, so I cut down the atrium grates to fit as needed, then screwed everything together.
image.jpg

image.jpg

And here's what the return system looks like, with only a little bit of landscaping done. Eventually, the pipe that you see here will be covered with dirt and anything that shows will be disguised as a rock or piece of wood. The circled area is where the weir is located -- you can see a tad bid of the white PVC in the picture.

image.jpg

image.jpg

And last, but not least, the final touch....a turtle stepping "stone" to sit attop the location of the weir. But I actually use the turtle stepping "stones" to indicate places in the habitat where your'e NOT suppose to walk.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good Maggie but the best bit is yet to come"The big Switch on" , will that be this year or next what with winter bearing down on you and all ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
'Grate' idea and a real work of art!

... I used a pipe-boot method of attaching the liner to the PVC pipe: cut a small hole in the liner, then pushed the pipe [4"] through. Made 2 "gaskets" also [from scrap EPDM], one went directly over the pushed out part of the liner surrounding the pipe, then a pipe clamp [those screw-down ones] over that, followed by another "gasket." The gaskets are supposed to protect the liner from the clamp. Screwed the clamp down really tight with a socket wrench...
I have been wondering if a pipe could be put through a liner without a bulkhead. I have a shower drain bulkhead in my current pond, and twice I have had to dig it up to check and retighten the nut. This seems to be the better method, but I am unclear about the details. Sounds like you have one gasket between the liner and the hose clamp. Is the second gasket used to cover the hose clamp?

I did some research and found some variations on how others have done this. The guy in this thread seems to be very knowledgeable and thorough: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?51520-A-simple-pipe-boot. Curiously he says: "Do not over tighten, the stretch of the liner alone will hold quite a bit of pressure and the clamp is just to snug it up and hold in place.". I'm definetly no expert here, but just thought I should mention this. I have seen (auto) radiator hoses fail because the hose clamp was too tight and squished out too much material.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@sburtchin You certainly have a good point about over-tightening the clamp, but hopefully just the fact that I'm a girl means that I didn't over-tighten it ;) I'm not going to worry about it now [too much work went into it], but if I have a leak show up at any time in the future, this will be the first place I'll look, and I'll keep it in mind for future jobs.

This is the site I found regarding the DIY pipe boot. I'd never done anything through liner before, so was understandably nervous, but since this little bog is a separate entity from the pond [separate liners], if I screwed it up, would be better to only have to replace one small liner........
http://www.bickal.com/pipeboot/index.htm

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking good Maggie but the best bit is yet to come"The big Switch on" , will that be this year or next what with winter bearing down on you and all ?

Dave
By that do you mean running the bog? If so, already in progress -- had a thread about that a week or so ago. I got it all hooked up to the pond pump and it's going.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/thr...hed-except-for-fine-tuning.16018/#post-249925

It's too cold now for the turtles -- they're all dug in for the winter, and it will be April or May before I see them again. But I have a bunch of plants that got pulled out of the bog back when they cut our trees down. Some of those plants were showing signs of plant-stress, so I was anxious to get the bog going so I could re-plant as many as I could before I lost them all. Some of those plants will stay in this little bog, but most are destined for the larger bog, once we get it built. The little bog is pretty full, but there are still a few more plants to stick in there. I think the plants will do better in the bog than they will being stuck in a kiddy pool all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I tend to agree. Given that it's such a small piece of liner and so close to the surface, it's probably not worth the effort of brushing the gravel aside to check it. Radiator hoses also have to deal with heat and vibration. No frequent eartquakes and volcanos in Louisiana AFAIK.:)

Thanks a lot for that other link. I can learn a lot from his website. And, oh yea, congrats on the overall project. It's really impressive!

Ask a Question