Turtle bog finally finished (except for fine-tuning)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yea! After a year in the works, several set-backs, and a lot of just waiting around........ The final step was to connect the bog to the pond pump to complete the circuit! So far, so good. No evidence of leaks [though my work with 4" PVC pipe leaves a lot to be desired]. Of course, now that the bog is functional, the turtles are going into "hibernation." Oh, well! But I had some bog plants that really needed to be planted [when they cut down some trees a few months ago, I pulled all the plants and stuck them in a kiddie pool -- some didn't survive].

Now I can't wait for spring!

Stages of construction -- these are "cages" to hold the gravel in place. Third pic is the "weir" thingy with a grate over the opening.
image.jpg

Completed, with plants! I didn't like the connections, so got some Fernco's. Eventually, there will be a fence going across the bog [to separate the girl turtle from the boys], and that fence will be where the tubing is. That fence will camo the tubing.
image.jpg

This is where the fence will go.....
image.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool and I can't wait to see next spring when everything is growing and your turtles are taking advantage of it all!

Reaction score
This is a huge build and it looks great!!! Been waiting to see your finished project. It sure looks like you put a ton of work into this!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks great Maggie, we thought out and exicuted as Lisa says it looks a huge bog .
By the way may I ask, did you solve the othher problem of your windchimes ?:)

Dave

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
TM what a fantastic job! So happy you finally got your turtle home done, it looks wonderful. I think your turtle babies will be extremely happy in their new home. Thanks for the update!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You really did a fine job of it all TM. Once the pipes are hidden and plants have grown you will love it even more. Your turtles are some lucky kids!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, all! I love working on the turt habitat & bog! It's my miniature, specialized garden.

@Priscilla Reason for separating boys & girl: We don't want any more baby turtles! plus they are all siblings and don't want in-breeding. I took down the barrier fencing during the summer to make it easier to work on the bog. It was nice 'cause they all had the run of the habitat, but the guys wouldn't leave Alphie (female) alone. That's stressful for her. So divider goes back up!

@Lisaebetten @Dave 54 It might look big in the pics, but the actual size is approx. 6'x3.5'........something like that. For perspective, the "cage" thingy is made with 1/2" CVPC tubing, and the input from the pond (and the clean-out piping) is standard 1.5" PVC. And Dave, no, the wind chime project is currently on hold.

@tbendl The little bog is just a small portion of their habitat. Gosh, the whole habitat takes up 1/3 to 1/2 of the back yard (and the pond takes up the rest....). One of these days I'll measure the habitat.

@j.w It is going to look great, though some of the current plants are eventually going to move to the main bog once it's built. During this past summer, I had the little bog filled with plants, though it wasn't connected to the pond yet. It was amazing how fast certain plants grew and filled in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Dug these up......

First one is what the bog looked like a year ago, during the planning/digging stage. Where the short board and cinder blocks are is the dividing fence -- you're standing on the "boy" side, looking into the "girl" side. The tree is no longer there.
image.jpg

Next 2 pics are what it looked like in April, this year. Can't put my hand on any from the summer....
image.jpg
image.jpg

And this is "X-Tra," enjoying his bog! :)
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
X-tra looks pretty darn tickled! What a great picture of him TM. :) So they travel around then and don't just stay in the bog? I had seen pictures from before the tree came down. They have a big area to roam if I remember right.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
X-tra looks pretty darn tickled! What a great picture of him TM. :) So they travel around then and don't just stay in the bog? I had seen pictures from before the tree came down. They have a big area to roam if I remember right.
Yeah, the bog is just their watering hole. They are land turtles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
New habby looks great TM. It will sure look great next summer when your plants start filling in too. Spoiled turtles!

Ask a Question