Converting fish pond to garden pond - lots of help needed!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's a shot of when I installed my liner and then putting pavers over the edge.

photo 4.JPG

photo 12.JPG

Attachments

• photo 33.JPG
    photo 33.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 321
Reaction score
That's really helpful, thank you!

And what you've done with yours looks brilliant. Really great.

Do you think this is something I can consider doing over the course of a few weeks during autumn, or should it be done during spring?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
With the size you can probably do it whenever. I would get it done in the Autumn so you can be ready for planting come spring. The biggest thing is have the liner ready to install after you get it drained and ready to go in case it rains. And thank you Doddsey I started out with a mud pit and have worked like a crazy person all summer to get it where it is. Hopefully you'll fall in love with it. I now have frogs and dragonflies and birds and butterflies all over the yard. I am looking forward to spring so I can plant a lot more stuff.
Depending on how much muck is on the bottom and if you choose to remove that top layer/layers of brick around the top I wouldn't think it would take long at all to empty. clean, build your ledges and put the liner in over the top of it all.
Take lots of pictures so we can admire your progress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Doddsey, Welcome. It looks like you are getting great advice. If you are thinking of a pump Laguna makes some very quiet energy efficient pumps. You could create a waterfall with a few rocks on one side and the splashing will make a nice sound in your garden. You can use the same liner for the pond as for under your waterfall so you don't lose any water. Basically we have all learned here by doing. Every pond is different. Part of the fun of having a pond is trying different things and see how they work and hopefully not killing too many fish in the process!. Good luck!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Welcome Doddsey. We too have a fishless nature pond. About 16 years old, < > 2200 gallons. Provides water to all types of wildlife, especially birds. Provides us with a very tranquil retreat.

Link to our pond showcase containing multiple versions of our pond. The 2013 version is basically what it looks like today.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/showcase/lou-cathys-nature-pond.13/#timages

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the input - really appreciate it.

The more I read your advice and look at examples, the more I think we need to remove some of the brickwork around the pond.

There's a decent space in the garden to do it, so we may need to have a go at doing it properly!

Appreciate all the help, and will let you know what we're doing with it.

Ask a Question