Copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone or anyone,

I bought some copper pipe to run from my pond to what I call a water plant filter. A friend said the salt, which is just aquarium salt in the pond will corrode the copper really fast. Is this true? Should I skip the copper and use plastic pipe?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep I had a water softner installed in NJ home and found out what even that can do to copper after my finished basement flooded .Copper can be bad for fish also .I was surprised in a bad way .Maybe that is another reason for pex in houses

Reaction score
Country
United States
yep I had a water softner installed in NJ home and found out what even that can do to copper after my finished basement flooded .Copper can be bad for fish also .I was surprised in a bad way .Maybe that is another reason for pex in houses

Thanks for your reply. Does pex have pcb or anything that's bad for people or fish?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess not because we drink the water from it and it is used in houses now because it is easy to install and is supposed to be safe /.If you look at everything in a whole at what is safe and what is not .More not than is ,look at coated cookware

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess not because we drink the water from it and it is used in houses now because it is easy to install and is supposed to be safe /.If you look at everything in a whole at what is safe and what is not .More not than is ,look at coated cookware

I know! We don't use coated cookware at all! I just did a google search on PEX and didn't find anything negative. Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need to reiterate what @MitchM said - salt will kill your plants. Salt is not recommended in a freshwater pond with plants.

I've put salt in my pond for almost twenty years and the plants and fish look vigorous and happy. I think the lack of salt is not good for the fish. About twenty years ago I had sickly fish and some of them died. A fellow at a local aquarium store said with apparent knowledge that they needed salt. I added salt and the the ones that were still alive became well and all the fish and plants I've had since then have done very well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I won't refute your real life experience.

What's your pond like? How many gallons? How many fish and what kind? What kind of filtration? What level of salinity do you maintain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think what most people would really be curious about is the salt levels. Just saying the word salt probably makes most people think of the salt on the road during a winter storm or ocean water. The salt levels I use as per instructions on the aquarium salt container's label are quite low.

I thought I was the only one who had never heard about salt in one's pond back when my fish were sick. It's on the shelf at pond stores, walmart and online. I ran into a pond person just after I had started using salt and he knew about the lack of salt making fish sick, knew what the malady was called and made me think I was the only one who had never heard about it.

You can't use just any salt, it needs to be aquarium salt to be sure it's the right kind. My pond is small, about 250 gallons and has a separate 100 gallon tank full of pond plants, primarily papyrus or umbrella plants but also elephant ears, lilies and cattails. I use a small pond pump from the pond to the plant tank with a simple media filter. Oh, since raccoons feast on pond fish, I buy goldfish and not koi.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Bill Baty While I appreciate your information, please don’t tell people that “aquarium salt” is the only type of salt to use — because it isn’t. Any salt should be added by weight. I use plain old non-iodized table salt, but I only use it as a dip or treatment — not in the pond. It’s good that you don’t have koi — your pond isn’t big enough for koi.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Use plastic pipe as stated above.

We have soft acidic well water, had copper pipes they started getting pin hole leaks, all replaced with pvc now.

Ask a Question