Couple of newbie questions... Bog to pond size ratio and depth for my area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building my 3rd pond, (liner pond) first two I built back almost 20 years ago for my grandmother, I will post some pictures when I dig them up. This pond I am wanting to add koi to, the main body of water will end up being a egg shape with about 120 sq ft of surface area, roughly 10' x 12' half of it being 36" deep and the other half being 48" deep, with a waterfall and a circle shaped 3' small pond above the water fall. I plan to do a small water channel across from the waterfall, maybe 12' x 3' wide from 1' depth at the far end with it ending up about 2' at the point it meets the main body of water. So I guess a total water surface area of about 160 sq ft give or take some. I wanted to make a bog with a larger pre formed liner just above the water channel.

I recently tore down a pond a rental property that the tenants kids had punctured the liner more than 16 times, so I took all the stone, the pump and inline filter. I will get the specs and post pictures of them later, it has a 1.25" output line and moves a pretty good amount of water, im guessing somewhere in the 2000+ gph range. I plan to pick up a 1000 gph pump to move water to the bog and channel.

My question is how large of a bog will I need to be effective? I read 10% of main surface area is enough, I plan to stock it pretty good with still unknown plants. I do have some water plants from the tore down pond and some cattails that grow where water sits on the clay in areas.

My other question is 36" deep enough or should I go ahead and dig it to 48"? I am in zone 5 planting, Central IL and they say water lines and footings should be at least 36" below surface to avoid frost/freeze.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm in northern Illinois, same zone, and our pond is just over 3 feet at its maximum depth. Lots of ponds in our area are built at 24" deep and the fish overwinter just fine. You'll get other opinions though that say you need at least four feet - or even five - so you'll have to decide for yourself after you do your research.

As for bog size - I would say the bigger the better. Ours is roughly 15% of the surface area of our pond. Again, you'll get a variety of opinions - including those who believe bog filtration is worthless.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a saltwater tank for years and know the difference things like this can make ( the bog and natural filtration), with that said I am a total noob and want to build my pond so that when I want to add a few fish I can. Thanks for the reply, I will more than likely end up sticking with the 36-48" on the main body of water.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Will the 'bog' be your only source od supplemental biofiltration?
How many and what kind of fish do you foresee having?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd consider half at 48" and half at 24". 24" is an ideal depth for many lilies and other plants.

And like others have said, 36" would be sufficient.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Will the 'bog' be your only source od supplemental biofiltration?
How many and what kind of fish do you foresee having?

I plan to also do a container with lava rock, im not sure on the name of type of diy however I wanna say it was a skippy style?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pump is a little giant wgp-95-pw, 4280gph with dual discharge. Im still trying to find info on the inline filter.

Ask a Question