DIY Low Head Check Valve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I needed check valves to my filter falls from syphoning during a power failure or to keep one pump from back-flowing through one that had failed. What I could find locally had why too much resistance to work with reasonable pumps, so I build my own. First I found some 2 inch rubber balls at Dick's sporting goods store, and the PVC parts can be found at almost any hardware or home improvement store.
  • 1, rubber ball
  • 2, ea 2 inch to 3 inch PVC adaptor
  • 1, short piece of 3 inch PVC pipe
  • 1, short piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe
DSC_0190.jpg

Into the side of the 3 inch I drilled a 1 1/8 hole and cut the 3/4 PVC to fit flush inside the hole, the 3/4 pipe will keep the ball from seating on the wrong end.
DSC_0191.jpg

the rubber ball goes in the other end,
DSC_0192.jpg

then everything is sealed up,
DSC_0193.jpg

When I hooked up the manifold and connected it to a pump the unused check valve only had a very slight dribble that stopped after a couple days. the water is inleted through the top where the ball naturally floats to.
DSC_0195.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the results, now I'll put a waste gate valve on the other side to drain the swirl chamber.

Ask a Question