Diy pump vault - heavy duty bucket?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
The weather is finally better here so I made it over to the other side of town to get the barrel. Ended up finding a smaller one there which was 12g. Snagged a 20g just in case though. Same place sells plastic pallets so I got 2 of those to use instead of a basin grate/aquablocks.

I can't decide how I want to cut the barrel vault. At first I considered cutting off the bottom, but I don't want to compromise strength. So I figured with big enough holes to allow flow in should be good enough. I'm thinking 2-3" around the sides and maybe one or two on the bottom. It's positioned roughly in the lowest part of the bog.

It's still too tall though. So I can leave it a little taller than the height of the bog, or cut the top rim off. Curious how much strength it loses if I cut the top off. Probably not too much but I figure the lip gives it some strength.

PXL_20230204_205350783.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like a settlement chamber? And like a sump.
Cistern is constantly circulating with the pond, just slower at 500 gph. Its a collection area it's water level rises and falls, while every other area remains a constant at the same level.
You want to keep it free of as much debris / fines as you can . so the cistern doesn't fill up . and also to keep it from becoming a food source for algae.

Ask a Question