DIY RAISED WOODEN POND BUILD - LOTS OF QUESTIONS!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

Upgrading from my little Blagdon patio pond (400 litres) to an approximately 1200 litre wooden construction raised pond for my 5 goldfish. Pond is presently filtered with a well established inpond filter/uv/pond which feeds a small fountain and works great - nice healthy fish and clear water!

With the new pond I'd like to go for an external filter - what size would I need to cope with around 1200 litres and 5 fish?

I'm planning to house the filter in the end of the pond hidden in a little "cupboard" within the cladding so I have access. The pipes from the pump would run up over the edge of the pond into the housing and back out again. Pond will be approximately 3ft tall so I'll need a pump strong enough to pump up and over that vertical height and back down into the filter.

I want to create a spillway effect for the return water. How high above the water line would the returned water via the spillway have to be to allow for adequate aeration of the pond?

I've attached a very crude mock up of the concept (I'm no engineer!) but would this essentially work??
POND FILTER IDEA.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think the height matters - any water movement is beneficial. And pump sizing is typically done to turn over the water 1.5 to 2 times per hour.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Good advice from @Lisak1! My only thought about the spillway is that (there is no right or wrong, but) the higher you place it, the more it might have a tendency to splash and might make more noise. I have no experience in this area, but that’s the scenario when I run it through my brain.

Ask a Question