Soon to be pond owner. Converting a putting green into a pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planning to turn green into a pond. I have had a few smaller ponds before and used filtration, I am planning a bog filter in this one. Plan to keep goldfish and plants, no Koi. Going 25 inches in the main pond and 13 inches in the bog area. I have not figured out the transition from bog to pond yet. The bog is the length of the back by the wall and is 36“ by 12’. Figure it will take a month or so for one college guy to dig it. Trying to plan for next steps, but I don’t know what I don’t know. If you have awesome advice I am all ears. I am in SF Bay Area.

Attachments

• IMG_2961.jpeg
    IMG_2961.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2960.jpeg
    IMG_2960.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds great!

The drop between the bog and pond does not have to be high, such as even a few inches is ok.

But the higher it is, the more aeration and waterflow. The bog to pond area can be your waterfall area. Or you can have another waterfall area.

My lesson on bogs is that even if the sides are much higher than the outflow area, plants and gravel really dam the water flow and raise the bog water higher than you think it will. So build the sides of the bog at least 6 inches or more higher than you think you need them. The plants will fill in any exposed wall areas.

Last edited:

Ask a Question