sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bulkheads you can get at tractor supply for 2 inch 14.99 and 4 inch is 19.99 and some local small stores like ace hardware and osh have them also. filter looks good and waiting to see new pics

Reaction score
Sissy,
$14.99 and $19.99 are way too high in my opinion.
The rubber gasket was $1.98 at Home Depot.
The two 1-1/2" male and female fittings - I believe were $0.88 each.
That being said, I paid $3.74 for a bulkhead, plus tax.
I bet finding the right gasket and Forstner bit for a 2" would be about a $1.00 more.
So for under $5.00 you can make a bulkhead that they want to sell for $15.00 or more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have those fittings your talking about from home depot and the only problem with them they are really hard to tighten all the way in. I even tried sanding the male fitting part to make it easier .Thats a good price but still will cost shipping shakaho and if you needed a few of them would still be worth it and the 1 1/2 fitting is to small for out flow it should be 2 times bigger then the inflow .I needed 2 but wish had seen that cost shakaho your late.The bigger the pump the more water will flow into the tank .

Reaction score
There also watertight EMT fittings that come with the nut and gasket already. But I'm not sure what size hose fits on them. They come in at least two sizes. I've used them for other projects, but I don't think they matched any hoses for my pond so far. Pretty damn cheap too. I'd say less than $5.

Reaction score
I have a skimmer that catches any large debris across from my waterfall. I have a submersible Cal Pump 4000 Torpedo pump going to a Bio Force 2000+UV filter. I don't have any filter pads in it. This was in before the drum came into play. It's just the UV light in my attempt at killing algae. From there it goes into Doc's Bio Filter. Then the water goes to my waterfall to allow for aeration.

Reaction score
How big is your skimmer? what media is in it? If you had the space it would be Ideal to make one barrel 30gal or 55gal specifically fines filtration then to your doc filter. Your doc filter would not get full of gunk and allow it to perform its bio process optimally.

Reaction score
I'm posting again. For some reason they're not showing up....

My skimmer is about a foot wide and allows for large debris to be caught. It's just a net that catches potential leaves and any floating plants that may make their way there. It prevents the pump from sucking them in and breaking.

From what I read on this forum, the drum filter is both mechanical and biological. The bottom portion of the drum holds the debris because gravity wins with the vortex effect from the swirler. The poultry netting then acts as the biological portion.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your correct, That would make your skimmer your primary debris remover, The DOC filter will remove heavier organics, then fencing serves as a biological, and if you ran the final water thru some type of matala basket or batting that would be a polisher. As Dr. Dave has shown that step isn't necessary but it is a option.

Ask a Question